Shower head releases in middle of night

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mrick, Apr 16, 2008.

1. mrick

mrick New Member

We don't even have the new shower completed. We have the new Delta shower valve installed. We have the marble in and the rain head shower installed but we have not put in the glass door. This is a brand new remodel for this bath attached to my bedroom.

So at about 2:00 in the morning, the shower head just releases water and starts dripping. It's pretty loud and wakes us up. It's done this twice now. We can turn the water on and back off and it will stop. Or if we move the shower head around it seems to stop.

Any idea what causes this intermittent release of water in the middle of the night? It isn't just a drip drip drip - it's a pretty good release.

mrick
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

High again mrick... Need more answers or, are you good with what I gave already?
  3. mrick

mrick New Member

Hi again Redwood

No sir. That answer was perfect. It sounds kind of like when you hold your finger over the end of a straw.

Sorry about the cross posting.

mrick
  4. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Do you have an expansion tank on your water heater?
    If you do not, it might be a thermal expansion issue...
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

He had a large rainfall type shower head that hours after use, would decide to empty out.
  6. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Mine used to do that. If I tilted the rain shower head it would empty out, if I kept it perfectly level it didn't and didn't even drip at all.

Jason