Shower Head Location / Placement

Users who are viewing this thread

vskerche

Reaction score
Just a general question for all you smart people here. I am installing a neo-angle shower. Does the location of the shower head have to be in-line with the valve body (i.e right above it). The reason I ask is that now that I have the valve body roughed in, and the PVC walls temporarily in place, the position of the showerhead seem too close to where the glass enclosure will be. I centered the valve body on the PVC wall (42 x 42 Shower). Looking at it, I'd like to put the shower head in the corner of the shower, while leaving the valve body on the side wall. I even thought of putting the shower head directly overhead, but that would mean running the water up through the ceiling..The shower head will be ok in-line with the valve body, but am just wondering if the other locations are do-able, and up to code

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My preference for a Neo Angle shower is to have the head at 14-1/2" from the corner.
Do not center it with the wall, unless you like bumping your butt against the shower door.

Remember, it angles in.

vskerche

Reaction score
Terry,
Just a quick follow up on your reply. So is it ok to have bends in the piping leading to the showerhead to get to that 14 1/2 distance. (i.e 45 or 90 bend). In regards to the other reply that I not have the shower head face the door, that would be pretty tough for an angled shower.
As I asked originally, can I pipe it so it drops straight down from the ceiling?

Thanks for all your help

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Angles in supply piping have minimal effect on the flow and pressure until you start to max out the possible flow (you won't approach that with a showerhead)...put the shower head where you want, and I doubt you'd ever notice the difference.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
You can put the shower head in the ceiling if you want. If you want to put the shower head on wall then I recommend a hand held type shower so the spray is facing down when you turn it on, if not then when you open your door and turn on the shower you'll get a nice stream of cold water streamin out of the door and onto the floor. Live and learn.

Stacy Todd

Reaction score
One thing to consider when putting a shower head in a corner is that, (so far as I can find), no one makes a corner escutcheon/trim ring.

You have to "un-corner" the corner.
When framing, cut a 2x6 at 45's to fit into the corner over the installed threaded 90 for the shower arm. Match your width to the size of tile...remember that on a 45 the durock will be wider than the board, so play with your board/durock and tile to get the EXACT result you're looking for.
A strip of mirror works nicely as well if you can can get it cut perfectly....use glass block mortar on the mirror(with a durock backer). Mirror mastic doesn't like heat.
Make the width of the mirror so that it comes short of the side walls to equal the thinset+tile width so that when you do your tile it is a clean 45 from the tile surface to the mirror.
Glass tile is nice in a corner, (and a lot easier/cheaper than mirror) and for extra WOW, try a low voltage LED rope light behind it. This complicates the framing though.

To do this is a dedication to the effect and really must be done PERFECTLY...or it will be, (and look like), a lot of wasted effort and frustration. A corner shower head is easy for the plumber...not so much for the amateur tile mason. If you dont tile the corner first, then there will either be mitre cuts on tile, (buy extra tile), or there will be a weird grout line at a 45.
So many want to show innovative design and/or craftsmanship and simply are not committed to the result.
It will invariably show.
There's no difficult method, just a failure to account for all variables.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks