Shower Head Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

kman1801

Reaction score
I have a shower head leak. I've replaced the gasket and the faucet is new. It is still pouring out of the shower head (hot water). There is no tub.

Could it be the shower head itself? Or is there something going on behind the shower?

This sucks

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Do you mean that when you shut off the water, you still have water dripping out of the shower head? and that it is only hot water?

kman1801

Reaction score
i've change the hot water faucet - it's new. i even put the old one on, i don't think it is the faucet itself.

you think the new faucet could have gone bad?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If water is coming out of the shower head when the valve is turned off, then the valve has a problem. If the valve has a cartridge, the cartridge could be bad, or a washer could be bad. What kind of shower valve do you have? Since it is new, do you have the model number and brand?

kman1801

Reaction score
the valve is a PP and model imprinted on it is 14. It's about 3-4 months old.

When I removed it the gasket was toast, disintegrated. I took the gasket from the old one which was still good. Still leaks like crazy. Then I replaced the valve with the old one. Still leaks like crazy. It's no longer just a drip, but a steady stream.

I am going to get a new valve and gasket and shower head (need one anyway). If that doesn't solve it, any ideas of where to look next?

Thanks for all the quick support!

To Pewterpower - GO BUCCS!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the valve is off and you have a leak, it is the valve. A shower head has no on/off valve that would affect the water flow when the main valve is off. Now, you might get some drips out of it for a few moments after you turn it off, but that is just the water thatis in the shower arm and head draining out. You can take the shower head off. With a correctly operating valve, there should be no water coming out of the pipe where the shower head was.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You mentioned that the rubber washer had disintegrated. Poke a screwdriver or a hanger into the hot water pipe after you've removed the stem (valve) and see if a piece of rubber is still lodged in there. If it is, REMOVE IT. Cuz it will still leak even if you replace the valve.

If you have rebuilt or replaced the hot water stem and there is no rubber or stone lodged in the pipe, then you have to replace the brass seat. You'll need to buy a seat wrench to do this. I'm not sure how many different PP seats there are, so you may have to take out the old one and bring it to the hardware store to match it.

If you have the wrong size stem or seat, this could cause leakage as well.

Eric

Last edited:

kman1801

Reaction score
ok thanks - i replaced both valves - i see now where i had failed to replace the seats when i put the new valves in a few months ago. i was able to remove the one on the hot water valve and it looks pretty bad. it was not hard to remove with needle nose pliers, however, i cannot get cold seat out using the same method. with the new valves in the leak is still there, but now it's cold water. obviously the other seat needs to be replaced now.

a seat wrench huh? what a drag!

thanks for the info..... really cannot thank you enough. fancy this... me doing my own plumbing!

kman1801

Reaction score
ok mission accomplished!

looks like replacing the seats was really all that was needed. and a seat wrench!

could not have done this today with your timely responses! a billion thanks!

kman1801

Reaction score
i live in Houston - but i'm the guy who makes the helmet decals for several teams in the NFL, including the Buccaneers (acutally used to, but that's another story). if want to send me an address i'll mail you a pair.

doughboy63

Reaction score
I know this is pretty forward but I am a huge Seahawks fan, what are the chances you make theirs as well? I don't mind paying.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks