Shower Head and Pipe replacement.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ROBSGUY, Jun 18, 2005.

1. ROBSGUY

ROBSGUY New Member

I moved into my home about 1.5 years ago. The house is 20 years old and I want to change the shower heads. The shower head pipe has a ball end and not threads. I'm not sure how the pipe is attached behind the wall so I not sure if i can just unscrew it???
  2. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

I'm not 100% sure without seeing it, but it sounds like you may not have removed the entire showerhead. Most of the showerheads I've seen have a ball in the showerhead itself so the head can swivel. Are you sure you cant unscrew the ball from the shower arm? If you cant, shower arms are screwed into a drop ear ell behind the wall most often. You should be able to unscrew the entire shower arm and replace it. When replacing, be sure to use some teflon tape and/or pipe dope on the threads. I insert one of the handles of a 6" set of channel locks into the showerarm to turn it thereby avoiding scratching the chrome. Let us know how it turns out and hope this helps.

Good luck
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You have either an American Standard or Price Pfister shower. The nut threads are different, but there are adapters made for both of these to convert the ball end to regular male pipe thread. ALternative is to change the whole arm, but if it is in good shape, the adapters are a perfectly suitable choice.
  4. ROBSGUY

ROBSGUY New Member

Thank You for your replies they were very helpful. I did change the shower head, what I wound up doing was unscrewing the shower arm. I did find the adapters at ACE Hardware but I couldn't use either. Looks like the old shower head and shower arm were one piece. Even though it had a ball end the shower head had it's own built in swivel, plus the arm did not have a coupling I could use to attach the adaptor too.. Thanks again i'm sure i'll be back with more questions...
  5. triley_56

triley_56 New Member

I have the same type shower head, same age house, i found three adapters on http://amconservationgroup.com
    Gerber-1/2"x1-1/4" 14T
    American Standard - 1/2"x1-1/8" 14T
    Price Pfister - 1/2"x1-1/8" 20T
    they are 3.99 i am ordering all three since i am two lazy to go measure the threads
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

adapter

They are so "clunky" that a real lazy person would just replace the shower arm.