Shower head and mixing value on different wall

Users who are viewing this thread

otth2oskier

Reaction score
I want to put my shower head and the mixing value on adjacent walls. The reason for this is driven by the desire to have the shower head on an outside wall. We live in a cold climate. I figure that if I insulate really well the PEX to the shower head in the outside wall will be fine, but, I am uncomfortable putting the mixing valve on the same wall, one, in case it freezes and two, because I would hate to have to remove the tile to service it.

I would like the mixing valve to be on a half wall beside the outside wall of the shower head. The rest of the stall is glass.

My question is twofold.

First, any issues with this configuration?

Second, because the mixing valve is on a half wall, I would like to run the line from the valve to the shower head down through the floor of the half wall and then up inside the wall of the shower head. Can I connect to the faucet outlet on the bottom of the mixing valve and plug the outlet that is supposed to go to the shower head, or alternatively, flip the mixing valve upside down so that the show outlet points down and plug the faucet outlet? That would give me the fewest elbows and the most direct path to the shower head.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With most shower valves you can use the bottom outlet and plug the top. In fact, with tubs that's the outlet you use anyway.
You can run the piping anyway you like to the shower head, keeping in mind that the longer the line, the slower the change in temperature when you go to adjust.
I've done it this way a few times, especially for a handicap situation where I want the control more convenient.

Reach4

Reaction score
Using an Ipad? :D

You can plug an unused port on your valve. I think you are planning to have separate controls for the tub vs shower. Otherwise why would you be plugging a port?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Using an Ipad? :D

You can plug an unused port on your valve. I think you are planning to have separate controls for the tub vs shower. Otherwise why would you be plugging a port?
FWIW, some valves are NOT designed to use both ports and require the use of a twin el when using both the tub and shower (or a separeate divertor). When that is the case, it is usually explicitly indicated in the installation instructions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
This is apparently a shower only installation so the "tub/shower" warning is irrelevant. BUT, the water in the shower pipe in the outside wall WILL freeze if the valve would have.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
This might be a candidate for using a tub spout (sometimes called a toe tester in a shower only). The advantage is that the whole supply line to the showerhead could be made to drain if you sloped it properly. It can also be handy to fill a bucket if you were going to mop the floor (does anyone still use buckets?!).

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Had an Indian customer last week who wanted to be able to fill buckets in his shower. His relatives visit from India and they wont take a regular shower. They bathe from a bucket. I did the quick, cheap, easy thing and put in a hand-held shower that could be used to fill a bucket.

Speaking of which, you can possibly install a slide bar around the corner from the faucet, that holds the sprayer without burying the pipe in the outside wall.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you're using a hose, which on a handheld you would be, the location of the port in the wall can be nearly anywhere. Also, at least on most of them, there are various lengths hoses available. I have a 6' one on mine.

sirbOOmdotcom

Reaction score
My former company's training center in Dallas includes hotel suites and the valve was installed opposite the shower head... I love this setup. No getting wet turning the shower on. No reaching over a toilet to turn the shower on. And so forth. I'm doing this in my shower - it's a must for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks