Shower handles

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by richrc1131, Aug 17, 2011.

1. richrc1131

richrc1131 New Member

The cold water shower handle for some reason keeps coming loose. I've replaced it, but it keeps coming loose on that side. I thought that maybe the grooves on the valve stem were worn, but they don't look it.

I also tried moving the hot water handle over and it seems to come loose too, but not on the hot water valve stem.

I'm hoping the stem doesn't need to be replaced.

Any advice?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Pictures would help. But first I would replace both handles with OEM, if available. It does sound like the splines on the stem may be worn. Replacing the stem is not that hard. Also, the handle screw could be replaced...maybe the threads are worn.
  3. richrc1131

richrc1131 New Member

Now that you mention it, although I did swap the handles, I used the same screw. That may be it. I will also look into getting better handles.
    Newbie question here: Does the brand of handle have to match the brand of stem?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

For best results, if you have an X-brand valve, you should use X's replacement parts. While some of the aftermarket replacement parts are okay, some are less than great. Is the handle tight when the screw is tight? Is it just that the screw comes loose? A drop of the blue thread locking compound might solve the problem if the screw or stem isn't messed up too badly. Use the blue stuff, as while it sets, it still allows removal eventually. The red stuff is meant more for permanent assembly and you might need to drill it out rather than screwing it out.