Shower from hell

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bendal, Mar 24, 2005.

1. bendal

bendal New Member

I have a stripped out connector where the shower arm screws in. I cannot get to it to replace it without tearing out the tile. (The other bathroom is on the other side of the wall, tile there too, can't go in that way either) Is there something that fits inside the shower and not in the wall? It would have to hook up at the bottom of the shower stall and run up inside the shower and attach to the wall. I have an access panel at the bottom of the shower and would have to hook on there. I have seen some that hook on where the shower arm is, but that is where my problem is. I really don't want to tear out the tile.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

When a shower arm breaks off in the wall, you may be able to chip it out using either a screwdriver, or sometimes an "easyout" tool.

At worst, the wall may need to be cut to replace the fitting at the top.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

thread

How did it get "stripped out"? If the arm just broke off a plumber can remove the remaining piece. If it broke off and you got "serious" with the thread and destroyed it, then there is no option except to open the wall and replace it.
  4. shower arm reapir

if you are talking about the brass arm for the shower where the water comes out, its not a big problem.

the best way to do it is to get yourself a sharp hack saw blade, either insert it in a tool that will hold the blade for you , or just wrap the blade with a piece of cloth . Then all you got to do is insert this in the hole .

Cut bck and forth through the brass that is still left in the joint. After a few strokes , lok at your progress with a flashlight. Continue to cut till you basically are just about starting to chew into the fitting itself.

try not to cut too deeply into the actual threads of the fitting

Do this on the bottom of the fitting, then do the same thing again on the top side. Once you have accomplished this , all you really need is a tiny screwdriver, or punch and hammer to chisle and pry that brass loose.
    needle nose pliers are good to get the two pieces out too.

If you went far enough it will come out. Then use a extra heavy amount of teflon tape on the new pipe you are putting back plus some pipe dope

have fun.
  5. clone1008

clone1008 New Member

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but I had the same problem. I used the hacksaw and got the broken off threads out. However, I cut too far into the threads.
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

Plumbers get lots of practice doing this which makes us good at it.
  7. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

shower arm

You are right Cass........

If I hear him correctly, when he took the arm out, the riser moved and he can't hold it in place to connect the new arm.

Is that right Bendal?
  8. clone1008

clone1008 New Member

So, is there an easy fix to this? I was thinking maybe if I use some liquid teflon with some teflon tape this will correct the problem. Any suggestions?
  9. Cass

Cass Plumber

All the fixes have been listed above, just pick the 1 that you want. I use a heavy duty awl that is avaliable at L***s and wedge it between the fitting and the broken arm peice with a hammer. Then pry the arm peice in. Sometimes the arm will disinigrate into small peices that can be picked out with the awl.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2006