shower floor

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by handy like dad, Nov 29, 2006.

1. handy like dad

handy like dad New Member

I will be turning my bath/shower into a shower only and have had two different recommendations for the soon to be tiled shower floor. Mud/Rubber/cement or mud/fiberglass. I was told fiberglass moves and the tiles may become disloged but I was also told it was better for preventing leaks. Don't know which way to go.
  2. prashster

prashster New Member

Check out johnbridge.com

Fiberglass 'receptors' are not (generally) intended to be tiled upon. They're mostly prefinished.

There are 2 ways to do a tiled floor:
    1) mud bed + membrane

2) preformed shower base. Check out Kerdi from Schluter Systems. It's a 'foam' tray that gets cemented to the floor, protected with a membrane, and then tiled upon. It works in conjunction with a special drain also sold by Schluter.

You can find out all about it at jb or Schluter's website.

Shower floors needs to be properly sloped. You may be able to find a preformed base if your floor is one of the standard sizes. Custom or wonky shaped floors usually fare better with a mud floor.
  3. OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker New Member

I'm all for the prefab shower bases or "receptors" as they are sometimes called. There is quite a variety in the sizes.
  4. prashster

prashster New Member

A properly membraned floor will be as strong and leakproof as a fiberglass receptor.

You still have wp the walls. A receptor can still leak at the wall/receptor junction. With a fully membraned shower, there is no 'seam' there. But you gotta membrane up the floor.
  5. OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker New Member

At this level of leak-proof-ness, I am discriminating based on ease of installation.
  6. prashster

prashster New Member

i hear ya!