Shower Fitting Underground

Users who are viewing this thread

Stacy7

Reaction score
Cast Iron to PVC Shower Fitting

Hi All,
I am so thankful for this gathering of folks with such great information, and now I hope someone can help me. I've ripped out the old shower that I used only a few times (5 years of sitting idle) to discover a hole in the concrete foundation about 14" x 20" around the drain. It was filled with dirt and rock, which I've dug out to a depth of 18" to inspect the cast iron and pvc connection. It looks very secure. The 2" pvc is pushed down about 4.5" into the cast iron piece and seems secure in a tight black rubber gasket. This leaves me with the 18" of hole to fill. I'm putting in a Swanstone Solid Surface 36"x36" double threshold. So... does the fitting sound okay? I poured water in and it doesn't leak. Albeit, cold water. And, how much clearance of dirt should I leave to pour concrete? I'm thinking about 4". Don't know if it matters, but I intend to install the shower base on a bed of concrete, as recommended. Oh yeah, I know that I need to leave clearance around the pvc up to 6" for the Swanstone drain fitting. Any suggestions on how to do this would be helpful.
Thanks for any advice!
Stacy

Last edited:

Construct30

Reaction score
There is more info in the plumbing forum, but as for the concrete make a square form out of 3/4 boards toe screw from the inside for removal. Be sure to get the pipe level and plumb, put 4" concrete in the bottom of the hole too so the pipe won't move in the fitting and leak below ground you should end up with a nice neat square hole with a concrete bottom about 10" x 10" and 4" deep. Check the fitting on the shower to see for sure how deep the hole should be, I think yours is built in and can't be changed, I hope it is the gasket type, like the retrofit shower, and not a glue fitting. Make sure the pvc is high enough, I leave it too high and cut it from the inside with a dremel tool after it comes up through the fitting on the shower base. Read my posts in the plumbing section for more.

Let us know after install how you like the swanstone for use and cleaning.

Stacy7

Reaction score
Oh, glad I read this before heading out to HD. Let me make sure i understand this. I have hole that is 12" deep. (It's actually 18" to the inside of the bottom of the pvc/cast iron drain.) I'll add sand to the bottom 8", set a 10" x 10" boz of 3/4" plywood over the drain, then pour 4" of concrete?

Should I make the box the depth of the pipe? 12", that way the sand stays off the rubber gasket. I've added a picture, hope it shows.

Thanks,
Stacy

Attachments

• Shower Drain Pic 2.JPG
    Shower Drain Pic 2.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 264

Construct30

Reaction score
I posted this on the plumbing forum too. I see no trap in the picture. If there is no trap under the dirt, you probably need a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks