shower final stages

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by FL-DIY, Sep 5, 2005.

1. FL-DIY

FL-DIY New Member

Hello,

I hope I'm in the final stages! I've included a picture as well but, the shower has been completely removed. As you can see it is just the cement foundation and sunken shower floor. I plan to use 1/2 backerboard to cover the walls. They're covered in plastic.

My question; since it is sunken concrete, can I run the cement backerboard down to the cement floor and then pour the mortar for the floor? Or, it is imperative to have a concrete floor/wall pan?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

What is under that cement? You must have a waterproof floor and a plain cement slab is not is. You need a fibreglass pan, or a waterproof membrane ( PVC, copper, or 3 layer hot mop) The waterproofing should extend several inches up the wall.

For excellent shower pan help, see www.johnbridge.com