Shower drip

Users who are viewing this thread

Kkmcewen

Reaction score
I have a single lever American Standard Shower faucet. I noticed that it was dripping more and more. Today I changed the shower head and all of the "guts" of the shower valve. All that was left was the metal housing that all of the pipes and the handle connect to. Everything seemed to work better. However, I still have a drip. It does not happen all the time. Just at times it will drip good then just stop. I took all the guts back out and reseated them. Not sure what else can be done......any advice?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water can easily drip from a showerhead for quite awhile after shutting the valve.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Do you have a handshower? If you do and it doesn't have a vaccum breaker it can siphon the water out of the shower riser and or shower head.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The larger the shower head, the more water it holds, and that can cause sporadic dripping for a while.

Kkmcewen

Reaction score
It's just a small normal shower head. Last night I heard it "dump" water into the shower. It does it at odd times. I expect it right after a shower, but in the middle of the night. Not sure what else I can do?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the layout, think of a showerhead and the pipe as a soda straw with your finger over one end...it can take awhile before it releases.

Kkmcewen

Reaction score
I know this might seem extreme. I just wanted to know if I was crazy. A 24 hour period and it dripped a 1/2 cup of water. Not a lot....except when you can hear the drip. Had a friend that is a plumber look at my work. Said everything "looks" fine. So, do I pay him to do more extensive search....or just deal with it? Not sure what else could be done.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My first question would be whether you used an OEM cartridge or an aftermarket replica? One could be of notably better quality than the other.

Next, did you apply plumber's grease before you put it in? If you put in in dry, there is a greater risk of nicking or tearing an o-ring, which will cause a leak. If it didn't go in relatively easily, you may have damaged it regardless.

Calcium deposits or a scratch inside the valve body are also potential reasons for a leak.

Kkmcewen

Reaction score
It was a OEM cartridge. I did not use grease....was not aware. I also replaced the valve body. I guess I screwed something up?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks