Shower Drain Weep Hole Research - by the NTCA and Cecil Hunt 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
For those tile men who receive tile letter from the NTCA you might have remembered the story or note from Cecil Hunt last year that said his private testing proved that weep holes are blocking and not working as plan - with weep hole protection. After reading this I reached out to Bart from the NTCA and asked what was being done. I received a note back that the NTCA was going to look into it.

Well - that was last year and I again followed up with Bart from the NTCA this week. I was told that no study has been done and that this year and last no conversations held. The furthest it appears to have gone is scheduled to be looked at or maybe discussed.

I tried to track down Cecil's research and found this video.

[video=youtube_share;uvbKmv2IYbY]http://youtu.be/uvbKmv2IYbY[/video]

It's not rocking the view count and this mooring had only 112 views. In it the video says Cecil made a few test boxes and that they all plugged. The culprit either minerals in the deck mud or the water. My money is on the deck mud. My money is on filler products and fly ash.

So it appears that the NTCA and the TCNA might get to this issue some time this year to discuss. Maybe next year a finding of sorts.

Keep your fingers crossed in the mean time boys..... I think we should do our own testing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Use a surface membrane and a bonded membrane flange, and don't worry about it since there are no weep holes with most.

I think they are a non-profit, primarily funded by the manufacturers, and they may set the agenda.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
http://www.forensictileconsultants.com/images/WaterManagementorMold(3).pdf

http://www.tilecontractors.org/ExpertWitness.pdf

So it appears that Cecil Hunt is an approved Expert Tile Witness for the NTCA.

Why then is the study (official) so behind in the planning. As yet there is not even a scheduled start date to the research... Seems odd.

the story or note from Cecil Hunt last year that said his private testing proved that weep holes are blocking and not working as plan - with weep hole protection.

Weep holes are just overrated , in a shower application . Without the proper air exchange -- venting or convection -- the moisture will just sit there , allowing the forming of all kind of residues . Which of course you don't want to happen where your weep holes are . The environment is perfect for them to clog .

If you want to make them work , venting under the mud floor may be the answer .

Without circulation it will just stay damp and eventually clog the openings left intentionally .

Creating an assembly without a drain with weep holes is probably the easier road of success .

xedos

Reaction score
Seems like you are just a crusade against Mr. Hunt.

Professional jealousy ?

Why not just eliminate the controversy and use a system with a drain that doesn't require weep holes like Jim and Roberto recommend?

That's what smart people would do. Sure you could beat your head against the wall, but why how to the trouble ?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Xedos - I'm looking for answers to a teaser info release.

Cecil's research affects over 90% of all North America shower builds. Someone like me who builds showers should understand this new information.

No professional jealousy only professional curiosity.

I have a few professional hunches involving topical waterproofing and thin-sets techninolgy. A few ideas on efflorescence and Cecil's research might help prove my hunches...

Thanks for your post xedos. Your hunches are way off base.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Question Men.

If weep holes are blocking because of the thin-set choices (portland cement - mortar mix etc) or the outside chance of minerals from water. What are these same effects on the bonded shower drains like Laticrete's Hydro Ban Drain or the Kerdi Drain. If water is not migrating through our setting materials - how are the showers drying out?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Such insight oh wise one..... LOL Roberto you should run for politics with that answer. My bet is that most dry out is happening through evaporation (up and out the grout joints)... Not weeping under the tile and grout...

I'm going to ring Cecil this week and see what info he will share.

As for the World Cup I have picked 7 right of the opening 11 games. My youngest has picked 7. My second youngest 5. My eldest 8. And my wife 9.... OMG she is 9 for 11 and does not even watch soccer.... My eldest is into dance and track... My youngest two and I are the soccer nuts and we are in last place in this family pool....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks