Shower drain venting issue, need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

gregoriep

Reaction score
I have a plumbing drain venting question. I installed a steam shower which is a little unique, as it is a stand-alone item that is assembled after the bathroom is completed. All they called for was a 1-1/2" drain be located at floor level off to the side of where the shower will be located. I called in a plumber to do this part, as we had to jackhammer concrete and attach this to the underground line. This was done, bathroom was completed, and shower was built. After I hooked up all the water lines, the drain line, I discovered I was having issues because it wasn't draining properly. I realized that the plumber who Installed the main drain didn't tie in a vent line, or the original home builder didnt build one into the original plan. So, to try and fix this I tee'd off the drain line before the elbow heading underground , brought it up about 4 feet, with about 3 abs elbows, and installed an air admittance valve at the top of the vent line I made. After I did this it still didn't drain properly. I removed the valve completely, and now I have a 1-1/2 pipe with the end exposed. But it works perfectly now without the aav. I'm assuming that there was not enough vacuum pressure to open the aav. My question is can I just leave it open like it is, or is there some other device I should put on the open pipe end? It has been exposed for about 2 weeks and there has been no smell at all, but the toilet has not been installed yet. Not sure what to do besides calling a plumber in, or finding someway to vent directly outside the wall but that will be difficult. I have attached a very rough sketch to show basically what was done. I would appreciate any and all thoughts on my next step.
DOC001.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks