Shower Drain - thread in or tape/dope?

Users who are viewing this thread

ahansel8

Reaction score
Had a guy float in my shower pan and an Oatey 42237 drain was installed. It's now time to tile the shower floor and I'm getting ready to install the top, grated portion of the drain. I called Oatey and they said there are no sealants required on the threads. Makes sense, seeing as how the female threads are interrupted, but the customer service rep didn't seem to be on her game, and didn't even seem to know what model I was talking about.

My neighbor is a licensed plumber and he insists the threads be taped and doped. I want to listen to him because he's the pro, but I don't see what good that'll do when the female threads are interrupted. Plus, Oatey said to NOT use any sealer on the threads.

Anyone encounter this? Here's a picture of the actual drain I'm using.
42237.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower grid portion that spins down from the top does not get tape. That isn't where the sealing takes place.
That is a clamping drain, and the vinyl clamps in beflow that part. You do use Silicone where the vinyl is clamped in.

If you have a metal drain, and you're talking about the "bottom" of the drain where it drops to the p-trap, that would be the part that is sealed. But the picture you show is a solvent weld (glued) drain.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WHY would you need any sealant? Those threads are above the waterproof membrane, there is NO pressure on them, and if they did leak the water would go INTO the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks