Shower drain relocate. Which is harder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's a tough call deciding when to stop. You need to keep going until you find solid pipe. That might be much further than you really want to deal with, but there's no time like the present! A rusted through, leaking pipe is a magnet for termites, carpenter ants, tree roots, that can generate all sorts of new problems.

Once you find solid pipe, there are couplers that work fine connecting between the CI and ABS or PVC (whichever is more common in your area). If you end up going all the way back to the stack, there are gaskets (donuts) that seal the plastic pipe into a hub.

Some people find cutting CI easier with a grinder and a cutoff wheel verses trying to saw it. You probably don't have enough room to use a snap cutter, and while those work great on new pipe, it may not make a clean snap on older, partially corroded pipe where it might just end up crushing it verses snapping it. I don't think the blade you mentioned would work well on CI, but I have not cut much...I was able to snap it.

When working with deckmud, it's much more like working with wet beach sand than concrete. You do need to pack it in place, but it will remain sandy on top. It should end up with great compressive strength, but not fantastic surface hardness. The reason you use deck mud verses concrete is that you can shape it easier plus, it is porous so that any moisture that gets beneath the tile can percolate to the weep holes of the drain.

As was noted earlier, should you choose to use a surface membrane like Kerdi or one of its competitors, you'd need a different drain assembly, but only need to make one layer rather than two of deckmud. I, personally, really prefer to make the whole shower waterproof verses just the pan. A conventional shower's walls are only water resistant, relying on gravity to keep moisture out of the walls and penetrating the structure. Cement board is not waterproof, but it is not damaged by becoming wet. Waterproof is critical on the horizontal pan, but not so much on the walls, which is why a conventional shower construction works. A surface applied membrane means no moisture gets beneath, and the whole thing dries out much faster. Minimize trapped moisture, much harder for any mildew to take hold.

LesP

Reaction score
Thanks so much, Mike and Jim. I sure appreciate the encouragement to replace the p-trap since it had certainly exceeded its useful lifespan! To any of you out there hesitating to break up the concrete, I can attest that it's not that tough to do (even with an under-powered hammer drill!).

That said, I am hoping I don't have to go too much further with the demolition... Would it be reasonable to hope that the p-trap is in the worst shape because of the water sitting in it all the time? Are the drain lines likely to be less corroded since (in theory) no water is sitting in them? Or does cast iron simply break down when it is buried in dirt, no matter whether it is holding water or not?

LesP

Reaction score
After an extremely long winter, I am finally getting back to the basement project! I had to cut the cast iron several times until getting to what I hope is solid pipe. Now I am dealing with the 2" cast iron only having an O.D. of 2.25" -- so a regular 2" coupling to the new ABS leaks. :(

I read on another thread that the solution is to get a coupling that is 2" plastic to 2" copper (https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/leaking-fernco.36260/). I found the ProFlex 3001-22, but Fernco tech support insists that this coupling is not rated for direct burial. Any other suggestions so I can finally get the giant hole in my basement closed up? Or is Fernco just being sticklers because the ProFlex line doesn't have the ASTM C1173 rating? I just want the assembly to not leak or fall apart...

012.JPG
P.S. The pipe isn't actually level -- I added a 1/4" shim to left end of the white stick which is 12" long.

tala9999

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks