Shower drain questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Zaknefien66

Reaction score
Hello,

I am putting a shower in the basement and I have some questions on connecting the drain to the p-trap. I had my underground inspection yesterday and everything was good, but I am a little confused on attaching the drain. The drain glues onto the P-trap and once the shower is in place you cannot get to it anymore. There is a part that unscrews from the top of the drain and this goes through the shower floor and basically making a compression fitting between the flange under the shower and the flange on the shower floor. Any way, what is the best way to make sure this doesn't leak. There are 2 gaskets as well, 1-rubber and 1-paper, what order do these go in?

This is how the inspector said I should do it. Hope this makes sense.

------------------ Shower flange (Metal disc with drain holes.)
..................... Silicone caulk
[[[[[[[[[ [[[[[[[[[ Fiberglass shower drain opening
..................... More Silicone Caulk
>>>>>>>>>>> Rubber Gasket
_____________ Paper Gasket

He said to put some Teflon paste on the threads when you screw the 2 parts together. Does this sound right? I thought the Rubber gasket went on top the the fiberglass shower.

Hope someone can let me know as I am trying to do this on Friday or Saturday.

Thanks,
Z.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

We do not know what kind of drain you have, or what kind of shower you are installing. But if it is a fiberglass shell shower, or base, then you really need a drain with a compression gasket to seal it to the pipe. The glue on one is okay if you have a basement that you can access the bottom of the shower. The paper gasket goes between the nut and the rubber one to act as an antifriction device.

Prashster

Reaction score
Too bad yr not doing a Kerdi shower. I love that drain system. So simple to attach...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed a 32" Lasco in my basement and used an Oatey drain exactly like HJ described, and is works like gangbusters. You don't want the solvent welded type in a basement because you can't access the underside of the shower once it's in place. Also, I question the need of an offset unit.

Zaknefien66

Reaction score
Offset

The offset was needed as the rough in was done 5 years ago when the house was built. The P-trap will not directly align with the shower drain unless there is an offset of some type. I don't have enough pipe sticking out of the concrete to get the P-trap to align without the offset.

As for getting the shower out, the center of the offset drain unscrews from the part that is glued onto the P-trap. Therefore the shower could still come out if you needed to get to the plumbing.

My real question here is not whether I should use this type of drain or not, but whether or not you should use silicone caulk to seal the two flanges that sandwich the fiberglass. I think that the type you are talking about you still have to seal the drain to the fiberglass shower some how. I have attached a basic picture to show how the drain comes apart. The drain screws in for the top and there is no nut on the bottom.

Thanks,
Z.

Attachments

• DrainPic2.pdf
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,104

GEORGE MITCHELL

Reaction score
I am installing a Sioux chief 2" no-caulk shower drain .I have easy access to the bottom from my basement .I have removed the old brass drain because it was leaking .how far below the drain does the 2 " pipe need to be ? I have 2 washers with kit one rubber one plastic .it suppose to be " a no-caulk" drain . do I use silicone or plumber's putty it is a fiberglass shower ? thank you for your expert advice ..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks