Shower Drain & Plumbers Putty

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Mike from Brier, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Mike from Brier

Mike from Brier New Member

Howdy all--

New shower receptor and wall surround going in (Sterling Vikrell). Old shower pan had the drain flange/fitting installed with silicone caulk between the flange face and pan.

We're using the old flange on the new receptor: Is it acceptable to scrape off the caulk and use plumbers putty on the mating surface, or should it be silicone caulk instead?

Thanks!
  2. thebigsee

thebigsee DIY Member

This is an old post, but just want to point out that I was going to use plumbers putty but then saw that both Oatey and Sioux Chief recommend silicone for their drain installs with preformed showers. I used silicone and am very glad I did. It will be a pain if I ever need to remove it, but if that's the case, it's time to install a new shower I think!