Shower drain mis-aligned

Users who are viewing this thread

BoydLS

Reaction score
Hello Folks-- I am installing a new fiberglas shower stall (Lasco). The drain pipe, 2" ABS, is slightly mis-aligned with the Oatey "NO-CALK" drain, so that the rubber gasket must deform further on one side in order to seal the opening. The drain pipe has no flexibility for adjustment (it's all used up, already!) I am concerned that I will never be able to make a good connection. Has anyone dealt with this problem successfully? Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am glad you noticed the misalignment and corrctly discerned that this will not work correctly. Even if you tightend up the castellated nut, it would almost surely leak eventually if not immediately. You must correct the drain misalignment even if this involves knocking out some of the slab, or opening the ceiling below if this is a second floor.

You wan't this shower to be leakPROOF for 20+ years; don't take any shortcuts now.

BoydLS

Reaction score
Thanks, Jimbo.
It turns out that re-aligning the pipe is impossible, without destroying the entire installation. Instead, I used a lead substitute to seal the irregularly shaped connection (http://www.blackswanmfg.com/SOIL-O.htm). By mixing the product to a soupy consistency, I was able to pour the sealer into the joint. I packed half of the joint with oakum, as instructed. I am very pleased with the results.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks