Shower Drain help

Users who are viewing this thread

Jake0391

Reaction score
I have a basement bathroom that I need to redo the shower stall. The issue I have is the original drain is a 4 inch cast iron pipe flush with the floor. The drain from the original shower stall pan was a pipe that had a 4 inch diameter top that fed down into the 90 degree cast iron trap. How can I still use it and get the best/correct 2 inch drain so I can build a shower pain? I have added a picture of the hole and original drain from the stall.
image.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Saw cut the floor, dig up and cut off the old trap. Install a new trap and riser where it needs to be. Refill and compact the hole. Mix up a couple bags of concrete and top the backfill with a 3" layer, screeded off to match the surrounding floor. Trowel it smooth and let it be.

Jake0391

Reaction score
Saw cut the floor, dig up and cut off the old trap. Install a new trap and riser where it needs to be. Refill and compact the hole. Mix up a couple bags of concrete and top the backfill with a 3" layer, screeded off to match the surrounding floor. Trowel it smooth and let it be.

I was trying to avoid all that work, I think I will just forget the whole thing and fill it in will concrete to seal it off

Jake0391

Reaction score
I am not building a bathroom, I am trying to fix the one that some idiot that owned the house before me installed so poorly it is not funny. I already had to move the electrical panel because some plumber ran water lines over it. Then when I bought the house an electrician replaced the two electrical panels with (due one having a failure rate of over 80%) one an violated code and put it in the same place. Few hours worth of work, at this point I might as well cut out the toilet line and laundry tube line and redo it all. Few hours worth of work, just renting the tools will take that long. Oh and the water lines are running up an outside wall another code violation too.

Jake0391

Reaction score
I was trying to avoid all that work, I think I will just forget the whole thing and fill it in will concrete to seal it off

Question, Could I use a compression donut to place inside the cast iron drain and use PVC in that to get the right drain, as an alternative to digging things up?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A donut is used to seal a pipe into the hub of a fitting. You need a 2" riser pipe for any standard shower drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks