Shower drain gasket is too large for 2" drain pipe, what to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bratan

Reaction score
Hello! :)

I was wondering if someone could give me an advice about installing shower drain. This is my first time doing it. I'm basically replacing shower pan/tub and drain assembly. My drain pipe is 2" metal (copper?) and I bought a no caulk brass drain (made by Oatey) form Lowes. I was surprised to find out that it's a lot bigger (by about 1/2") than my pipe. Rubber gasket simply slides over the pipe, not even touching the walls :( I've read instructions and watched videos on how to do it, and it suppose to be pretty snug on the pipe. Am I doing something wrong, or drain is simply wrong size (it does say for 2" pipes on the label)? Or is it meant for PVC pipes that have thicker walls?
I appreciate any suggestions :)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, your drain is meant for schedule 40 pipe, meaning ABS, PVC, etc. There is probably a gasket available for the copper pipe,

Bratan

Reaction score
You need an Oatey 101 series Model number 42050. Verify with oatey tech support that it caulks to the brass drain with a rubber grommet/bushing and caulk ring.

Thanks! I wasn't able to find that specific part anywhere, but found a gasket (model 42158) that should work for copper pipe and compatible with my drain (42150). Only one store sells it tho, and shipping is 4x price of the gasket, but oh well :) If anyone interested I'll report if it fits once I receive it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks