shower drain flange replacement-help

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by arrow, Oct 25, 2006.

1. arrow

arrow New Member

I found tons of water leak to my crawl space. After a quick test I found that the water came through the shower flange. I found that there were a gasket (about 7-9 mm thick) to fill out the gab between the 2" pipe and the drain flange. I'm not sure what is the best that I can do. I visited HD to get an advice and bought a new drain flange which has a threaded rubber inside. HD do not carry a gasket for this case.
    My questions are

1) Is it OK to use a gasket to fill the gab to seal? After pushing the gasket in the gab, should I cauk the side? I could not found that kind of type fo shower stall in website. I'm not sure if I can find that one. Unscrew the flange from crawl space would not be easy as well.

2) Thie pipe is not in center exactly. It is a little bit tilted to one end. I can make it center by pushing hard. No matter what I use to seal it, I think this may make the seal not complete. I'm not sure the new flange with threaded rubber of a gasket is also good in this kind of a little bit tilted pipe.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Is this a fiberglass or some other plastic shower pan? There are various types of drains that might be able to be used. Some of them use a rubber sleeve and a press fit, there's no glued or threaded connection between the drain and the pipe.

Can you post a picture? It would make it easier to help.
  3. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Different rubber seals are made for copper, pvc and galv drain stubs. They are a very tight fit and require to be seated with a corking iron or a cold chisel.

Once you get the seal started it will center the drain pipe.........
  4. arrow

arrow New Member

here is the picture

yes. It is not glued nor thread. There is only one ring(sleeve) around the pipe. I wonder how it works only with the sleeve. Is it possible that the installer forgot something or cauking around the sleeve worn out?

Attached Files:

5. Cass

Cass Plumber

If it were me I would buy a new shower drain and install everything new.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Nope, on many of the type you have, it is only a compression fit with the rubber around the drain pipe riser. It is a bear to get a new one in without slicing it, but it can be done. You might try to lubricate it with dishsoap to make it easier to push in there with maybe say a screwdriver. They do make special tools to this, but if you are careful, and can find the replacement, you can reinstall a new one. If you have access from below, you could put a new drain in, too.
  7. arrow

arrow New Member

Thanks. The pipe is a little bit titled to one end. Should I fix it first before I install a new one or push a gasket round the pipe? I can push the pipe hard to be in center so I can install something but it goes back to its position. I worry that it will squeez the sealing one side harder than the other causing leak.
  8. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Try to get under and support the trap. Otherwise I would just get the rubber seal started and drive it in.
  9. arrow

arrow New Member

I'm back. I just got a quote to replace the stall at about $300. He said the pipe has to be cut. I guess it is right since there is no way to get the big nut out unless the pipe is cut. But $300. I'll try by myself first WITH your help. My P-trap in on a wood rail(?). It is hard to re-positioned to be in center. And I have to cut. Do I have to cut right after the P and glue it?
    I'm doing web searching now. Please help me out.
    Thanks.