Shower drain design

Users who are viewing this thread

Shajan

Reaction score
adding a shower to my half bath. Due to the location of the drain, the best option I see is tying it to the vent for the washer located in the basement directly below. I will have to upgrade the existing vent tubing to 2". What are the drawbacks?
Thanks.
Shay

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can drain a shower from the second floor with a vent from the lower floor.
You will need to bring it's own line up, and both fixtures must be vented. The shower can tie in below the washer downstairs. Not above it.
If you were thinking of wet venting, that is only done with bathroom fixtures, located on the same floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The major "drawback" is that you CANNOT do it. The "easiest" way is to install a new drain line parallel to the washer line and connect it to the existing drain line below the washer connection and connect it back to the 1 1/2" washer drain/vent pipe 42" above the floor where the shower is located.

Shajan

Reaction score
Thanks guys. HJ, I can't implement your idea without a flat vent so that takes it out of the question. My other option is connecting to the stack that has the toilet and sink drainage for this bathroom that is six feet away.

Shajan

Reaction score
Please take a look at the attached picture. Will this work?

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 361
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks