Shower Diverter Stem Stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Jibu

Reaction score
My shower Diverter is not diverting all of the water to the shower. It is a 3-knob Diverter. I got down to the stem (picture attached), but I have been trying without luck to get the stem out. I tried a pipe wrench and a valve socket wrench. The stem won't turn at all and now it's just starting to wear down the stem. I also tried spraying PB blaster. Any idea on what I may be doing wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,006

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may need to tap out more tile to get to the eight sided portion of the stem that the socket will fit over.
Shine a light in there and see what is back there.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
That pack nut is looking pretty good there. Reminds me of a consult I had with my proctologist after my divorce.

Yeah, Terry's spot on; you need to get a grip on the stem with the right tool, and back it out of there. The tile people aren't plumbing people, so you may have to enlarge the hole a bit to allow the socket to go in there and grab the stem so that it can be removed. Chip the tile away carefully with a hammer and your least favorite screwdriver in small increments until the socket fits down in the wall. When you get the right socket on the right spot, try to unscrew it CCW. When it becomes abundantly clear that you're about to round it off, stop and try it the other way, as absurd as it may seem. Then try it CCW again.

I hate to revisit this, but last time I had a problem removing a stem, I had to go purchase a 15/16 deep well socket, saw off the stem so the socket wouldn't bottom out, and take my 18" 1/2" breaker bar out of my van that I use for my lug wrench. Worked like magic.

Getting in a hurry pretty much guarantees failure.

Jibu

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick responses. I tapped out some more tile, but it just looks like a circular shape inside. I've attached a photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 728

Jibu

Reaction score
Hope you have a closet on the other side of the wall.
It's a bedroom wall on the other side. The closet (and access panel) is actually on the other side of the tub side wall, although the access panel only really provides access to the drain. What do you think I will need to do?

By the way, if I have a plumber come to do this, what would be a reasonable estimate, at this point?

Thank you.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could it be reverse thread and you are turning it the wrong way?
Do you know what the faucet brand is?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One mistake you made was removing the packing nut. That would have kept the "sleeve" from distorting when you put the wrench on it. I am not sure where it comes apart because we cannot see all the way into the wall, but IF that sleeve is the point, then it has to unscrew. There are NO "left hand threads" except for some cold water stems and they have absolutely NOTHING to do with taking the faucet apart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks