Shower Diverter Stem Fell Out

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Regina, May 17, 2005.

1. Regina

Regina New Member

Hi,
    After taking a shower this evening, I pushed in the shower diverter stem. First the top part (the part you pull up/push down on) came off. When I tried to screw it back on, a square plastic piece fell out and the whole stem came out. Can someone give me an idea of how this is supposed to fit back into the faucet?

Thanks in advance. :confused:
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

divertrer

NOt without seeing it, and even then it might not be possible to TELL you how to do it, but sometimes the easiest, and best route is to replace the diverter.
  3. JMattero

JMattero New Member

Buy a new spout

Sorry this is so late, but I just saw it while searching for another problem. Anyway, if I understand you correctly, you are NOT talking about a faucet type stem for the diverter, but are talking about the kind of thing that is a "pull up-push down" piece that is on top of the tub spout (where the water comes out to fill the tub). If so, you can easily buy a new one at Home Depot. Typically, the old spout will unscrew from the pipe that projects out of the wall (if an old installation), or simply pull off after loosening a set screw (look under the spout near the wall for a small hole). Once off, buy a new one, and slide it on, and your problem will be solved. Good luck.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

diverter

I hope they have not gone for 4 months without a shower because they did not follow the directions about replacing it.
  5. thezster

thezster New Member

Good catch! ;)