shower diverter knob not working

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by timt, May 29, 2013.

1. timt

timt New Member

my shower knob is not working properly as of this morning, no matter which way i turn it the water comes out of the faucet and shower head simultaneously , any suggestions as to how to fix ???
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

How high is up? Without some more info, a brand and model or picture would help, it's kind of hard to diagnose your problem without knowing what you have.
  3. timt

timt New Member

my bad, i thought either all knobs worked the same and all levers worked the same, anyways mine is a glacier bay Jacuzzi tub with shower
  4. jadnashua

Is the diverter on the tub spout, or built into the valve? Is it a pushbutton or a knob?
  5. timt

timt New Member

no its the middle knob of 3, hot, shower, cold, i went to hd and they said it sounds like i'll need some washers on the interior of the valve, and with this being an older model house, if the valve doesn't have a screw to get to it, i'll have to have the wall ripped out to get to it
  6. jadnashua

Okay...that type often has a decorative cap in the middle of the handle that pulls out, then you can unscrew the retaining screw. But, being that old, you'll likely need a handle puller to get it off. SOmetimes, you need a new stem and the washers won't work. One that old, may or may not be easy to find, if at all. FWIW, my mother had that type in her tub/shower. I ended up replacing it with a modern valve that meets the current anti-scald federal requirements. TO cover the larger hole required to cover the old handles, most every faucet maker has a renovation or remodeling plate designed to cover the hole.
  7. timt

timt New Member

thank you, your advice should be very useful