shower diverter knob not working

Users who are viewing this thread

timt

Reaction score
my shower knob is not working properly as of this morning, no matter which way i turn it the water comes out of the faucet and shower head simultaneously , any suggestions as to how to fix ???

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How high is up? Without some more info, a brand and model or picture would help, it's kind of hard to diagnose your problem without knowing what you have.

timt

Reaction score
my bad, i thought either all knobs worked the same and all levers worked the same, anyways mine is a glacier bay Jacuzzi tub with shower

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Is the diverter on the tub spout, or built into the valve? Is it a pushbutton or a knob?

timt

Reaction score
no its the middle knob of 3, hot, shower, cold, i went to hd and they said it sounds like i'll need some washers on the interior of the valve, and with this being an older model house, if the valve doesn't have a screw to get to it, i'll have to have the wall ripped out to get to it

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Okay...that type often has a decorative cap in the middle of the handle that pulls out, then you can unscrew the retaining screw. But, being that old, you'll likely need a handle puller to get it off. SOmetimes, you need a new stem and the washers won't work. One that old, may or may not be easy to find, if at all. FWIW, my mother had that type in her tub/shower. I ended up replacing it with a modern valve that meets the current anti-scald federal requirements. TO cover the larger hole required to cover the old handles, most every faucet maker has a renovation or remodeling plate designed to cover the hole.

timt

Reaction score
Okay...that type often has a decorative cap in the middle of the handle that pulls out, then you can unscrew the retaining screw. But, being that old, you'll likely need a handle puller to get it off. SOmetimes, you need a new stem and the washers won't work. One that old, may or may not be easy to find, if at all. FWIW, my mother had that type in her tub/shower. I ended up replacing it with a modern valve that meets the current anti-scald federal requirements. TO cover the larger hole required to cover the old handles, most every faucet maker has a renovation or remodeling plate designed to cover the hole.

thank you, your advice should be very useful

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks