Shower Diverter Handle Stuck Open

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by filthee, Feb 10, 2008.

1. filthee

filthee New Member

Hello all. My wife just informed me that the lever on her shower faucet that diverts water from the bath faucet to the shower head has been stuck for the past 3 months. :confused: It's the kind of lever that you pull/push up or down to alternate between shower and bath.

It seems like it's fused rock solid. I mean there's no play at all. I screwed the whole faucet assembly loose so I could look into the mouth of the faucet. There is some mineral buildup there. Could that be all it is?

If not, what's my next step?

Thanks. :eek:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There are thousands of models out there...it would help with the brand and model, but if that isn't possible, post a picture.
  3. filthee

filthee New Member

Here you go. I hope this helps. Thanks!

[​IMG]
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

diverter

CHANGE the diverter. They are so cheap it is not worth my time, or yours, to try to repair it.
  5. filthee

filthee New Member

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You can just see the set screw in that slot underneath the spout. Loosen it up and the spout should pull off (didn't notice if there was any caulk - that might need cutting). IF the setscrew wasn't too tight, sliding a new one on is easy. If it was tight, sometimes the seal can be problematic if the pipe is no longer round. You may want to remove any burr if there is one from the screw so you don't damage the O-ring in the new spout.