Shower Diverter and Hot Water

Users who are viewing this thread

JenMasc

Reaction score
Hello,
Last March I installed a new faucet/shower diverter/curtain ring on my clawfoot tub, similar to this one: http://tinyurl.com/k2w43

Recently when we pull up the diverter to get the water to go through the shower portion the HOT water handle will slowly creep over to all the way on. It doesn't seem to matter how much or little water is going through the faucet. If it is enough to go through to the shower, the hot water handle will slowly creep over (this means that the hot water is ALL the way on). The only way to take a shower of reasonable temp now is to have BOTH handles all the way on. And forget a cool shower unless you want it flat out cold.

I had a plumber look at it and he couldn't figure it out quickly (He was here doing some other work). He mentioned the stem on the hot water side might need to be replaced. It seems odd that we'd already have to replace anything given that the install was just 1.5 years ago.

Any advice is appreciated!

Jen

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem is definitely in the stem. Try tightening down on the packing nut. You can do this without turning off the water to the tub/shower. That should make it harder to turn the handle, thus keeping it from turning by itself. It's also possible that there's too much plumber's grease in the stem. You could turn off the water to the tub and check this by pulling out the stem. Other than that, just replace the stem, and remember to tighten the packing nut on the new one.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't replace the stem.

Sounds to me like there is an o-ring stem seal and the o-ring is warn enough to cause your condition. If it's an o-ring change it . It should be thick enough that you can put a little plumbers grease on it and not have it move.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks