shower control compatibility

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bdemay, Feb 4, 2008.

1. bdemay

bdemay New Member

I currently have a Delta shower control and would like to know if it can be replaced with a Moen or other brand of similar operation without having to replace the control valve behind the wall. Are the control valves in the wall brand specific or will I need to go with a Delta product.

bd
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

Not only are they brand specific, but also model specific. Even if you have a Delta valve, you can only switch to trim pieces that fit that model, and you cannot change to a different model without changing the valve in the wall.
  3. bdemay

bdemay New Member

Are the trim pieces marked with a model # somewhere to know what one has?
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

NO. You just have to know. If you could post a pic here, someone will know what it is. Otherwise, take the pieces in to a plumbing store.
  5. bdemay

bdemay New Member

Can you tell from the photo what would be compatible or do I need to remove the control and trim?

Attached Files:

6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Delta

That 1500 model is obsolete, but I believe there is a way to make the current trim work, once you change the cartridge to the new model. But I am not sure which current cartridge works, since I have not had to do it.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The cartridge is Delta RP32104
    Escutcheon is RP20101
  8. bdemay

bdemay New Member

The only reason I was going to replace this fixture was for cosmetic reasons to match new fixtures elsewhere in the room which are in venetian bronze. Is the escutcheon and other external parts available in that finish or will I need a complete fixture if that is the motive. If so would T17038-RB be compatible with what is behind the wall?
  9. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The T17038 is 1700 series for R10000 rough in valve. I would contact Delta at 800-345-DELTA to ask if it workd on your older valve. I think it does, but check before you buy.