Shower cartridge replacement help

Users who are viewing this thread

HudsonRiverBlues

Reaction score
My shower has issues with temperature control; micro-blasts of very hot followed by cold water while showering. I'd like to try changing out the cartridge but I have no idea what make the shower fixture is. I tried removing the cartridge, but couldn't get it out. And since I don't know what it is, I'm not sure what additional tool to buy to help me remove it. Does anyone recognize this? Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_3623.jpg
    IMG_3623.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_3624.jpg
    IMG_3624.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_3625.jpg
    IMG_3625.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_3626.jpg
    IMG_3626.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_3627.jpg
    IMG_3627.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 594

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It looks like you got it part way out. If that is the case, get out the can of WD 40 and give it a shot. After a minute or so push the valve back in and give it another shot of WD and work it back out. It may take a few times. WD 40 base stock is fish oil.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How old is that thing? It may not solve the temperature swings when you replace the cartridge. It should if it was built after the anti-scald federal regulations came into effect, but not if it doesn't have that technology built in. TO get that, you'd need to replace the whole valve (unless they make a cartridge to retrofit your old valve, should it be that old). Sometimes, getting a cartridge out of an older Moen (if that's what it is) can be a real challenge.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
How old is that thing? It may not solve the temperature swings when you replace the cartridge. It should if it was built after the anti-scald federal regulations came into effect, but not if it doesn't have that technology built in. TO get that, you'd need to replace the whole valve (unless they make a cartridge to retrofit your old valve, should it be that old). Sometimes, getting a cartridge out of an older Moen (if that's what it is) can be a real challenge.
Not for a plumber with the proper tools.

John

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Not for a plumber with the proper tools.

John
True, but we're talking about someone who is not...this forum is primarily for people that don't know or have the tools it may require. In that case, yes, it can be a pain to get out...

frodo

In the Trades
Reaction score
your gonna need a cartridge puller. if not, you will pull the stem right out of the cartridge
ask me how i know this? then its a whole different ball game. i had a old cartridge 1 x that when i pulled it. i thought i was gonna pull the valve out of the wall!!! thank goodness it was brass and not plastic

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
with an all brass stem, the cartridge puller USUALLY pulls the stem out of the barrel, then you need an additional tool, (or tools), to remove the outer section from the valve body.

HudsonRiverBlues

Reaction score

That is definitely a concern I have. From the bit I was able to pull out (without getting it out all the way) shown in the picture, it doesn't look like any cartridge I've seen in catalogs (I looked at Alfano Plumbing catalogs). This is a co-op building built in 1953. The original bath and shower would have been a 4 handle arrangement. At some point, someone removed the tub, tiled everything and created a shower-only with the single-lever fixture I've shown in the picture. I bought the unit a few months ago. No one knows when the tub-to-shower-only conversion was done, but approximately 10-15 years ago is the best guess.

Thank you for your feedback!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may be looking at replacing the valve if you can't find the correct part.
It seems like a Moen, maybe.
At any rate, it's pretty far back in the wall.

If you open up the tile you can replace with a new pressure balanced faucet.
I'm not a big fan on the non-balanced valves.

attachment.php

frodo

In the Trades
Reaction score
depending on where the valve is.. it can be removed. from the back. so as not to tear up your tile wall
the down side to it is. your stuck with that valve type. a new eschtion plate but not a 3 handle faucet
measure where the valve is in relation to the room behind the valve. cut the sheet rock out and replace the valve
its a pain in the but to do. but can be done

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If your water pressure is varying because of the old building and numerous condo units, you may want to look into a thermostatically controlled valve verses a pressure-balance only type. For maximum flexibility, the Delta R10000 rough-in valve gives you a choice of three different cartridges/trim sets so you can change your mind down the road. THe three different ones are: single handle pressure balanced; two (concentric) knobs/handles - temperature and volume; thermostatic control - two knobs/handles - one temperature adjust, second volume. There are lots of trim choices, and the trim costs more because the cartridge comes with the trim, not the rough-in valve. A big box store may package all the bits together, but on-line and at a plumbing supply store, they're generally separate purchases for maximum flexibility and minimal stock complication.

plumbingmaster8

Reaction score
My shower has issues with temperature control; micro-blasts of very hot followed by cold water while showering. I'd like to try changing out the cartridge but I have no idea what make the shower fixture is. I tried removing the cartridge, but couldn't get it out. And since I don't know what it is, I'm not sure what additional tool to buy to help me remove it. Does anyone recognize this? Thanks!!

plumbingmaster8

Reaction score
Any Moen cartridge that gets stuck inside valve housing. Housing is soft brass be carefull not to oval or scrach inside get à small screw driver grab your tourch heat up red hot tip of screw driver and gently start mellting plastic sleeve of cartridge start one side work your way around the cartridge till the center steel part of cartridge drops right out becarefull not to burn shower walls flush out valve by turning water main on gently sand inside valve lube new Moen cartridge then slide back in install retainer pin ya plumbingmaster8 over 40 years

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks