Shower base

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Gary Kehoe, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Gary Kehoe

Gary Kehoe New Member

Hi all,
    We are in the process of "renovating" our master bath. We do not want to do a total tear out at this time for financial reasons and I don't have the experiance or knowledge to d oit myself. We have a shower with tile walls and ceiling and a fiberglass base. The walls and ceiling are in excellent condition but the base is pretty well worn (20 yrs old) very hard to clean. My questions is, Are there any inserts that will fit over the base or are there tricks to cleaning this that I haven't figured out?

Thanks,

Gary
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

base

No inserts that would be worth the time and money to install. The "gel" coat is probably worn away, so nothing is going to clean it, at least not permanently.
  3. Gary Kehoe

Gary Kehoe New Member

Base

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Is there any way to apply a new gel coat? Or is there another paint or coating I could use as a temporary fix? It won't need to last forever. Once I get one kid out of college we will probably do a full renovation.

G