Shower arm extension?

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveNJ

Reaction score
Hi, I need to lower the showerhead in my Mom's shower - do they make extensions for shower arms - say, 6" or so?

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
You can install a hand held attachment with a side bar. The slide bar assembly can be installed to what ever height you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveNJ

Reaction score
Thanks, that's definitely an option, but I was just looking for a "quicker" fix. If they don't make them, I'll put one of those up.

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Google up shower head extensions. Extensions are made put you might have to go to a plumbing supply house or a bath show room.

Asktom

Reaction score
You could remove the shower arm, screw it into a 1/2" chrome plated 90 degree elbow and, using the correct length nipple, hook it up where the arm used to be. The shower arm will then drop down parallel to the wall and sweep out away from it at the bottom.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks, that's definitely an option, but I was just looking for a "quicker" fix. If they don't make them, I'll put one of those up.

It doesn't get much easier than a slide bar unit. They can be attached to the wall with double stick, and you almost don't even need a wrench to make the hook up. They are also very convenient for all concerned. Whoever has to clean the shower will like the availability of the handheld, and if mom ever has need to be using a shower chair, the slide bar and and hand held are very convenient/.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The two ends of a shower arm are different lengths. If you buy a 6", 8", or 10" shower arm and screw the shorter end into the wall, the other end will lower the shower head to whatever dimension you purchased.

drop_ear_90.jpg

Agu

Reaction score
I'm 5'11" and the Mrs is 5' nothing. There are multiple showerhead kits that allow adjustment of showerhead heights with out doing more than replacing the existing showerhead with an adjustable showerhead.

DaveNJ

Reaction score
Hey all, I just found this, which I would think will do what I need (it's been hard to find one in BN):

DaveNJ

Reaction score
Actually, scratch that - it's not threaded...

But, this is pretty much what I need. I don't know if I'll have the proper clearance if I were to buy a 10" or 12" arm and put the short end into the wall since the ceiling is relatively low and the shower line is pretty high already - I'll have to measure it...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are hinged shower arms which allow you to postion the head at any elevation you want. If you get one, be sure it has "teeth" to hold the position. The ones that use friction are almost impossible to tighten enough to keep the head from "sagging".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
if it has teeth, you will usually see them where the two pieces rotate. As as sidebar, I have made BN finishes by rubbing a chrome piece with a steel wool pad or open grit sand cloth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks