Shower and Tub P-Trap Before Inspection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeepnick

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm finishing up my under slab/pre-slab drain plumbing and plan to schedule inspection Tuesday. I'm unsure as to whether having my shower and tub p-traps is installed before inspection is required...

It seems to me it would be easiest/best to block out a box and run a horizontal pipe into the box from the "stack" and configure the p-traps after the slab is poured and once I have the tub, etc to make sure placement is correct... Does this sound right?

Many thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It depends on the area and the inspector. Here, we HAVE to install the "P" traps for the inspection. And since you are "here", I suspect you will have to also unless the inspector says otherwise.

Jeepnick

Reaction score
Crud!

Guess that means I'm not done cementing pipes together... I guess that also means I'll just end up at least cutting out the tub p-trap and repositioning it later on. How dumb.

Thank you for the answers, as always.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not necessarily. If you know the tub you will use, you can position the trap in the correct location, or if you use the right drain, it does NOT have to be in the correct position, as long as it is NOT UNDER the bathtub itself.

Jeepnick

Reaction score
as long as it is NOT UNDER the bathtub itself.

Wish I'd thought of that! Too late now... At any rate, thank you for all the great advice and help!! I really appreciate it.

Water tested this morning and inspector called about an hour ago and passed everything! Now to figure out how to drain the system without causing a massive mud pool and washing a bunch of crud into the main sewer line (My test tee is right before the fernco that ties into the clay line.) Should be fun!!

Thanks again - Really. Especially you HJ! You rock!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; My test tee is right before the fernco that ties into the clay line.)

That is where you SHOULD have installed the "2 way cleanout" and then the water would have drained past the combos without flooding you.

Jeepnick

Reaction score
quote; My test tee is right before the fernco that ties into the clay line.)

That is where you SHOULD have installed the "2 way cleanout" and then the water would have drained past the combos without flooding you.

I put the 2 way cleanout about a foot up-line from the test tee. It has a mast that comes up out of the ground from 3 feet down. Figured sticking an inflatable plug down that tube and getting it to work was more trouble than it was worth, so I went the test tee route.

Draining ended up being pretty simple. Uncapped everything one at a time in the reverse order of how it overflowed when i filled the system. Trenches got a little wet, but not bad at all. Once it was all uncapped, I started letting small amounts of air out of the plug and let water drain past it. I stuck a 3" pipe into the 4" test tee opening to keep the plug from shooting out once the air was let out. Worked like a charm - no spilled water, and the whole thing took about 5 minutes.

Hope it all holds up - pre-slab inspection passed today and the concrete pour is about 16 hours from now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks