Shower and silicone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I noticed and spent about 5 minutes looking at my downstairs shower in the basement, leaking somewhere. It appears to be leaking from the bottom corner of the shower stall. Now, if I take the time to silicone it on the inside in the corner will that stop the leak? I don't want to spend no more than 5 minutes fixing this. :) If it turns out that it is not leaking from there is there a fast way to find out where from it is then leaking?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this a tiled shower?

Basically, anything you do topically to a tiled shower is a bandaid, something deeper is wrong. A conventional tiled shower should have a waterproof liner up the wall at least a couple inches above the top of the curb, so even if it was filled to the brim so to speak, it shouldn't leak out. There are lots of ways to do this wrong, though.

The tile and grout are not waterproof, only resistant. It is what's underneath that matters.

Describe the construction - prefabricated pan, tiled, etc. and maybe we can get a better feel for this. Also, highly recommend www.johnbridge.com for tiling and showers.

Cookie

Reaction score
Hi Jad,

It is a plastic constructed kind. It was cheap and I love it. It reminds me of camp. It has tall walls, (but then I am short so anything is tall) with a kind of plastic trim around the bottom. It has no door, just a shower curtain but, it is leaking from the back so that can't be it. Right? It leaked pretty good there was a steady stream running around the side but straight into the drain on the basement floor. No tile. Just plastic. But, my husband put this in for me and well, I liked anything he did. I will fix it, but intend only spending 5 minutes doing so. I am a busy lady. :)

Jadnashua

Reaction score
On a prefab, yes, silicon may fix it. Sometimes the rubber components sealing the drain can fail...that's harder to fix. If you can get the screen off of the drain and feel like it, try taking a long balloon and blowing it up in the drain to plug it. Then using a bucket, fill the pan to just below the curb. Let it sit say overnight. If it is still full, you know it isn't the pan or drain.

Cookie

Reaction score
Alright, I did it. I think I fixed it. I hope, I hope...
Also, just a tidbit of information here on an easy way of cleaning a shower stall. I used a carwash mitt. Boy was it easy.

(then, I fixed the boiler Grumpy):D

By the way, if I want to try that balloon test, you are saying Jad, to put the balloon in the drain then, fill it up with water? The base of the shower somewhat, right?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You blow the balloon up down the drain and it acts like a big plug. They make special plugs for this, but a balloon works well and only costs a few cents; it's just harder to use since you have to bend over so low to blow it up in the drain. Once it is plugged, fill it up with water and check it later to see if the level dropped.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ok, I gotcha now. I do have a balloon. I might try this tonite. My big Friday night, lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks