Shower and lavatory choices ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ro

Reaction score
Hi, I've got to choose fixtures for my master bath remodel. I'm paritally disabled, and I'll have an oversized shower, porcelain tile walls, with a moveable, custom-made teak bench (and heavy teak duckboard on the shower floor, laid on top of porcelain mosaic tile underneath), because I sit to shower now a lot. We were thinking 3 functions in the shower area: a showerhead for him on the end wall, a rainhead from ceiling (esp nice so I can sit my bench where that'll keep my shoulders warm while I use my handshower), and a handshower on a bar, mounted not too high, and near my bench. As noted, there are times I'd like to have two of the three functions going at once. I'm not sure which lines have this kind of function in their diverters, etc?

Brand feedback esp appreciated. I want quality roughs to go under the tile. I'm looking at Hansgrohe for the shower area, in Chrome, esp the Clubmaster showerhead, one of the Raindance AIR 10" rainshowers, and one of the Raindance AIR 4" handshowers, with one of their very modern-looking bars (mixing and matching here a bit). The one thing was, in the showroom, one of the Hansgrohe modern-looking lines had this plastic on the ovalish trim and handshower handle which I didn't like. The lady said that was the old style and that the new versions would no doubt have the metal there, with a circular trim. True? I don't want to get stuck with plastic in a special order situation. Any other good line of shower fixtures I should be considering?

For the vanity, I'm up in the air. Like some of the Hansgrohe, but not deadset on having the shower totally same. But around here the Hansgrohe seemed to be a little more available with less turnaround time. My toilet and undermount sink will be Toto. I saw a Toto faucet I liked the style of--the Soiree single-handle (which I hoped would be ok for my weaker hands). Anybody have opinions on the Toto lavatory faucets, re quality and dependability/servicing?

Thanks very much.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Ro said:
... teak ... porcelain mosaic tile .... two of the three functions going at once.... quality roughs ....
if I had to do it again, I'd put two lights in the shower instead of one, and not worry about centering the light in the space, since light looks good "washing" down a wall. I'd also not worry about centering the shower head(s) since nobody stands specifically in the center of a big shower... I'd put the shower heads nearer to walls and to the bench so that I really feel I'm getting royal treatment when I sit or perch on the bench, instead of feeling I'm out of the action.

I'd put more antislip tiles (or tile slices) into the tile floor layout. Grout is not a good antislip surface. Epoxy grout even less so.

If I could find handshowers that clip onto REAL grab bars, I'd buy that company's stock in a jiffy. I just don't get it. Why install BOTH a handshower slide bar and a grab bar or two in addition?? Besides, don't real people ever lean on their bars or use them for muscle training?

Kohler has a single lever that turns 360 degrees to allow any two function sof three. Part of the Memoirs series i believe.

Roughs : with 3/4" diameter, imo.

David

Ro

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I've been thinking the same thing myself, re two lights in shower. It's at the end of the line of sight as we lay in the master bedroom anyhow, and it's one of the two "money" walls, so why not make it look good. Lighting makes such a difference.

I hear you, re the grab bar-cum-handshower! Wouldn't that be nice. Speaking of grab bars, does anyone have a good source online for those, something modern and slick in design?

I was also thinking about what you said about forgoing symmetry of fixture placement in favor of what FEELS good. I agree, good idea. Though my GC has decided this project is a pet one now, that he wants to submit for some regional contractor award thingy, so he's going to be pushing for visual beauty. Hey, I'm an artist, so I'm all for aesthetics--they are a visceral part of life, but that can be literally cold comfort if bits of you are left out of the happy, warm water streams.

Back to the search....thanks again :)

danwsmith

Reaction score
Re: Shower ideas needed too

Ro: I also am re-doing a master oversized shower and need a bench with multiple shower outlets (main and hand held).. Do you have a drawing of your layout? I was intrigued by the moveable teak bench and heavy teak duckboard in your first post.... how do they work? For my plan, I'm thinking about using satin American Standard (Harmon Series) with a 3-handle shower/tub value and pipe the tub outlet instead to a hand held shower, that way eliminating the need for a separate expensive diverter. I too like the idea of off center lights and main shower on far corner of shower wall. Thanks for any input.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
geniescience said:
If I could find handshowers that clip onto REAL grab bars, I'd buy that company's stock in a jiffy. I just don't get it. Why install BOTH a handshower slide bar and a grab bar or two in addition?? Besides, don't real people ever lean on their bars or use them for muscle training?

David

Delta Teck series, model T13H253

AlwaysInHotWater

Reaction score
slide bar and heads

I've really liked the slide rails and shower head selection from neatitems.com. Most of their stuff is very high quality, the prices are good and the flow restrictors are removable or variable flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks