Show off - new bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

asuwish

Reaction score
I would like to show off our (almost) completed bathroom. It's only taken 4 and a half months...
toto supreme toilet, maax shower stall, american standard sink, grohe eurodisk faucet and grohe shower; custom built vanity and radiant heating in the floor - ahhhh, that feels so nice.
I will try and post "before" pictures so you know what I was living with up until now!

Attachments

• DSCF4879.JPG
    DSCF4879.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 867
  • DSCF4874.JPG
    DSCF4874.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 801
  • DSCF4876.JPG
    DSCF4876.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 774
  • DSCF4877.JPG
    DSCF4877.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 785
Last edited by a moderator:

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Wow! Great job. Did you do the workk all yourself?
Just curious, what is behind that halfwall/shelf on the lower part of the wall?

asuwish

Reaction score
before pics and low shelf

I wish I was a handy-woman, but, alas, I do not have the skills and so I've had to hire contractors to do the whole thing. I am a patient woman, however. I did the research on the toilet and that's the reason I've become rather hooked on this site. I can't tell too many people that I have a secret addiction to reading about plumbing and remodeling. I'm afraid they just wouldn't understand :)

Here are the before pictures. I believe that is the concrete foundation that was made into a low (pretty but rather useless) shelf. I guess I could put some books there...or just a row of toilet paper rolls...

The water heater was in the old bathroom as was the access to the crawl space.

Attachments

• DSCF3770.JPG
    DSCF3770.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 674
  • DSCF3771.JPG
    DSCF3771.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 640
  • DSCF3774.JPG
    DSCF3774.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 619
  • DSCF3780.JPG
    DSCF3780.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 602
  • DSCF3907.JPG
    DSCF3907.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 602

damadake

Reaction score
Awesome! I'm doing the same thing myself. Hope it turns out anything close to yours! :)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ti looks like something you would see in Europe. Nice work!!!!

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sweet.
Firstly, I dont know why the bathroom has the ledge...but I like it alot.
Secondly, When I bought this house one bathroom had the same round sink with the metal "beauty ring" which I was happy to be rid of like yourself I'm sure.

Mike

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What a difference! What kind of radiant heat did you use? I'm thinking of heating my shower floor and am just about ready to pour it. (Although "pour" is the wrong word for deck mud.) Looking for an electric system of some kind.

asuwish

Reaction score
Was that metal ring around the sink really called a "beauty ring"? That's pretty funny as it was hideous by the time the demolition came along - "rusty dirt catcher" was more like it. I didn't realize that other homes were equipped with this feature. It must have been hip in the 60's. I'm blessed with one in my upstairs bathroom too. Lucky me. That will be going out the door very soon too.

The electric heating in the floor is called "NUHEAT". You can check out their website at www.nuheat.com. The thermostat has a programmable timer so you can set it for when you get up and when you return home in the evening. I would HIGHLY recommend warming a tile (or concrete) floor. I'm going to do it in the upstairs bathroom too and in about ten years when I can afford to do the kitchen I will do it there too. Mikey, you said you wanted to heat your shower floor; did you mean where you actually stand to shower? Quote from the website "Nuheat is not warranted in exterior applications or shower pans." You will be so happy with a toasty warm floor - your guests will congregate in the bathroom.:)

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Warranty be damned

I'm building a Kerdi shower (see www.johnbridge.com), so there's no danger of water seeping down to where the heat strips are. And if it does eventually fail, I'm no worse off than I would have been had I never installed it (other than being out a few bucks). I'll have a look at it -- thanks.

PS: At one time in my life, the idea of guests congregating in the bathroom, or more particularly the shower, would have been a wonderful concept :D . Now I'm just thinking about keeping my feet warm :( .

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
asuwish said:
Was that metal ring around the sink really called a "beauty ring"? That's pretty funny as it was hideous by the time the demolition came along - "rusty dirt catcher" was more like it. I didn't realize that other homes were equipped with this feature. It must have been hip in the 60's. I'm blessed with one in my upstairs bathroom too. Lucky me. That will be going out the door very soon too.

Yes it is called that...I was just as surprised as you. You can "clean" it with stainless steel cleaner but why bother----that little beauty has to go! :D

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
asuwish said:
I would like to show off our (almost) completed bathroom. It's only taken 4 and a half months...
toto supreme toilet, maax shower stall, american standard sink, grohe eurodisk faucet and grohe shower; custom built vanity and radiant heating in the floor - ahhhh, that feels so nice.
I will try and post "before" pictures so you know what I was living with up until now!
File Type: jpg DSCF4876.JPG (25.0 KB, 95 views)Is the rim of the lavatory sink at 32" from the floor, or is the countertop at 32" with the lav rim higher? Just curious, as I have figured out why lav rims are at 32".

Rudy

EAT "WILD ALASKA SALMON" IT'S GOOD FOR YOU AND YOURS!!

JaniceC

Reaction score
Your new bathroom is a place of beauty!! I love the countertop and vanity shape, and the raised sink. I had heard that raised sinks are harder to keep clean, esp'y on the counter directly below. What's your experience so far?

And what material did you use for your countertop? It's gorgeous. I've been looking for the perfect countertop, and found a cool material that uses recycled paper of all things. It's called Paperstone. Only problem is, the fabricator that the store recommended would charge more than twice the cost of the material to do the fabricating. Ouch!

I am now in the middle of a bathroom total overhaul, and like you, it was toilet research that brought me to Terry's site and turned me into a total Toto fan. Oh well, there's worse addictions I suppose. I just placed an order for an Aquia this morning.

Janice

asuwish

Reaction score
rudytheplbr said:
Is the rim of the lavatory sink at 32" from the floor, or is the countertop at 32" with the lav rim higher? Just curious, as I have figured out why lav rims are at 32".
The countertop is just over 28" from the floor and the top of the lav rim is at 31 1/2".
Why are lav rims at 32"?

Janice,

I'm not sure my experience with this kind of sink is going to help you. I have a six year old boy who loves to play with the soap pump AND the tap so there is always water and soap suds on the counter - that would have happened no matter what kind of sink we used. It's pretty easy to wipe around the sink - plenty of room to get my hand in contact where the sink and counter meet. I guess you might want to get one that isn't too shallow where you couldn't do that. Never thought about that! (My explanation was clear as mud, right?)

The counter-top is a laminate/arborite. I'm not sure of the cost but it comes in at least a gajillion colours and textures.

We're getting an aquia for our upstairs bathroom. Apparently, we are supposed to sand the inside of the tank where the screws go to avoid leaks...

I would love to hear how your renos go. We seem to be like minded :cool:

JaniceC

Reaction score
When our bathroom is further along, I'll post a few pictures.
Right now, my goal is to have a working toilet, painted walls and working lights by next week Thanksgiving, when 12 people descend on our house.

Another (probably obvious) question about your sink: I'm assuming you picked out the sink first, then had the countertop cut accordingly?

At any rate, I printed out that picture to share w/ my husband and our remodeler. We'll see what they say!

Janice

asuwish

Reaction score
Hey Janice.
We had some pictures of the look we were going for, but our "Remodeler" (general contractor) designed and made the vanity/countertop and chose a sink that would fit the scale of the bathroom.
Sorry it's taken me a while to respond. I imagine you've already figured this out by now!:)

BennyBaby

Reaction score
That is a real sweet room. I really like the vanity, the natural ageless beauty of wood, shaped into a modern look, great job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks