Should we install a 3rd Bradford White?

Users who are viewing this thread

kathyjw

Reaction score
We’re a bit hard-pressed to make a quick decision and don’t know which way to jump.
A 10 year old Bradford white combi system leaked & burned out motor and has left us without heat or hot water in a (Thank, God) warmer than normal January winter.
Local heat guy has quoted $3,750 to replace and install new 50 gallon combi tank.

I cannot find comparaters. And I am ticked that the joint that leaked was the manufacturer’s just 4 months past warranty. How likely are we to have to replace this system before we would a conventional furnace? The original was victim of another flood 20 years ago. If we moved ahead and replaced, it would be our 3rd combi system in 20 years. This is getting expensive for what is a pretty noisey, if ecnomical, form of heat and hot water.

I am hoping somebody has advice for a not-wealthy woman who just wants a quiet, reliable heat source that is also kind to the envirnonment. If we were to go tankless on the hot water side, could anybody recommend a good, reliable brand?

Many thanks,
Kathy Woodcock

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Personally , from what I am seeing out of Bradford White they are being made to last exactly 6 years and one day

I would suggest you buy the extended warranty on the tank if the offer one for around another 400 bucks
that will make it a 10 year warranty

I can 100% guarantee
that you will see it fail right after the 6 year warranty runs out

kathyjw

Reaction score
We’re a bit hard-pressed to make a quick decision and don’t know which way to jump.
A 10 year old Bradford white combi system leaked & burned out motor and has left us without heat or hot water in a (Thank, God) warmer than normal January winter.
Local heat guy has quoted $3,750 to replace and install new 50 gallon combi tank.

I cannot find comparaters. And I am ticked that the joint that leaked was the manufacturer’s just 4 months past warranty. How likely are we to have to replace this system before we would a conventional furnace? The original was victim of another flood 20 years ago. If we moved ahead and replaced, it would be our 3rd combi system in 20 years. This is getting expensive for what is a pretty noisey, if ecnomical, form of heat and hot water.

I am hoping somebody has advice for a not-wealthy woman who just wants a quiet, reliable heat source that is also kind to the envirnonment. If we were to go tankless on the hot water side, could anybody recommend a good, reliable brand?

Many thanks,
Kathy Woodcock
What is the model number of your unit. Exactly WHEN was it installed, or are they basing the warranty on when it was manufactured?
It was installed in fall 2004. Model #MIITW50T6BN12 48/40 G capacity; 65000BTU/HR

kathyjw

Reaction score
Personally , from what I am seeing out of Bradford White they are being made to last exactly 6 years and one day

I would suggest you buy the extended warranty on the tank if the offer one for around another 400 bucks
that will make it a 10 year warranty

I can 100% guarantee
that you will see it fail right after the 6 year warranty runs out
My Goodness. Thank you so much. I am seeing similar information from the consumer side posted online, most of it 2011 thru 2014. I think between the master plumbers and the regular folks, we're seeing a certain consensus develop. The benefit of your experience and information is much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to set us straight.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
She said it was a 10 year old heater so a 10 year warranty would not help, especially since she apparently already had one because she said it failed just after the warranty expired. And ALL manufacturers have heater that fail during the warranty period AND/OR just after the warranty expires. It is NOT unique to Bradford White heaters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks