Should new softener resin need to be regenerated right away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mastiff

Reaction score
I just installed a new softener with brand new resin out of the bag(s). It's in service and we're not really noticing any difference. I realize the hot water heater has a supply of hard water in it still, but I think we've flushed that by now. The unit has not regenerated yet though, does the resin work right out of the bag? My other thought is that since this house has been doing its thing with no softener for about 30 years, there may be a lot of mineral build-up in the pipes and water heater. Is it possible that we'll have to wait for that stuff to clean out a little before we see full effect?

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That stuff will never clear out. Test your water to see what the hardness is. You may have the programming not set right or perhaps did you maybe leave the valve in bypass ?

Mastiff

Reaction score
Definitely not in bypass. The programming could be wrong, but doesn't that just affect how often it regenerates?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The resin performs as soon as the softener is activated. The reason for regenerating a new unit is to flush the "fines" out of the resin bed since they could be small enough to escape into the water piping. Sometimes you have to take soft water "on faith", unless you have it tested, since not everyone can detect the difference in "feel" or "taste" of the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks