Should I Winterize my deep well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Harry3

Reaction score
The wife and I go south for the winter months and we have been keeping the heat at 50 degrees but this year I'm thinking I would like to winterize the house and drain the pump.
It is a deep well pump and it is located in our basement sitting on a cinder block the black poly pipes go through the concrete wall 8 feet underground to a well 8 feet underground. The pump is about 30 years old and has never given us any grief. I have had to prime it in the past for whatever reason and had no problems doing so. I am a little Leary of draining the pump because I don't want any problems repriming it in the springtime. Should I just go for it or maybe I should put a light bulb in there around a box.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Deep well jet pumps with the two pipes down the well are not easy to winterize. Just a little bit of water trapped in the wrong place can mean your pump will be cracked when you come back to use it. A submersible with a bladder tank is much easier to winterize.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
Another downfall to winterizing is the mineral build up on the inside of the pipes dries then when you poor water in to prime the pump scale breaks loose and may plug the jet. A light bulb may burn out so I'd go for a small electric heater with a thermostat. With no flammable objects nearby of course.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks