Should I use air chambers?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by fishkiller, Jan 11, 2008.

  1. fishkiller

    fishkiller New Member

    Jan 11, 2008
    First time poster - go easy on me!

    I'm replacing a vanity. The supply comes up through the floor and connects to T fittings. The horizontal outlet of each T runs to the shut off valve, then on to the faucet. The vertical outlet of the T extends another 18 inches or so upward and forms the air chamber inside the vanity. I'll have to cut the existing supply lines below the Ts in order to lift the old vanity out and drop the new one in.

    I'm hoping I can simply connect new shut off valves to the 2 supply lines that I cut, and not have to sweat new T fittings and air chambers. Can I eliminate the air chamber? Space will be very tight in the new vanity, and replumbing it like the old plumbing would be difficult.

    For what its worth, this bathroom is on the 2nd story of a tri-level home, and is the farthest faucet from the water main. Air chambers are present in the laundry room, which is on the lowest level and near the water main.

    Any advice is appreciated!

  2. Mike Swearingen

    Mike Swearingen New Member

    Jan 12, 2005
    Independent Real Estate Broker
    On Albemarle Sound In Northeastern NC
    I'm not a pro plumber, just a long-time DIYer.
    In my opinion, you can eliminate those air hammer pipes, and try it without them. If you experience pipe hammer, then you can install mechanical arresters, which take much less room.
    Good Luck!
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    It is a rare valve you manually turn on and off that will cause hammer unless the installation is really poorly done. Plus, those air chambers usually become waterlogged after a few months. The only ones that work long term have a piston or diaphragm that separates the water from the trapped air. Sioux City, Watts, and a few others make them (around $10-15 each), and for those things that need it, well worth it. Usually only needed for things like washing machines, dish washers, etc., where you have a fast acting solenoid valve.

    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2008
Similar Threads: Should chambers
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice How should this humidifier overflow be plumbed? (pics) Jan 24, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Water heater pressure relief valve let out some water. Not sure if I should be concerned Dec 10, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Older septic system runs fuller than it should; how to clear out sediment from lines? Dec 7, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Surface Rust / Cracking at Kitchen Sink hole - Should I repair it or ignore it? Oct 22, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Valve Stem Leak. Should I be worried? Sep 22, 2016

Share This Page