Should I use aftermarket hoses on my washing machine?

Users who are viewing this thread

scrappy

Reaction score
How do i find out what my water pressure is? I've had trouble with 2 different sets of front loading washers since we moved washers to upstairs and added new plumbing. water seems to start then abrubtly stop, sometimes starts filling again, sometimes we end up with a error code related to the non filling of the water. We also started having water hammer problems once we added additional plumbing for the upstairs washer (and for bathroom addition that was never completed, so pipes there but nof fixtures). no one has ever mentioned the water hammer issue in relation to the water flow issue. I have a Watts Intelliflow system, which we thought was possibly the issue, but ?????. I recently contacted samsung about theissue and they DO NOT recommend the FLOODCHEK hoses we ahve on the machine as well. I think they are lumping the FLOODCHEK and the FLOODSAFE hoses together, which I believe are two totally separate types of hoses. I could see their issue with the FLOODSAFE hoses because I think they have flow restrictors when they sesnse an issue with water flow??? but the FLOODCHEK hoses have no such mechanism, only better resistance to the hoses bursting, no flow stopping mechanisms. Is this correct. This washing machine issue has been going on for years with 2 separate units and nobody able to solve problem??? Where would I place the water hammer arrestors????

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You can get a meter with the tattle tell, And most people put them on a hose bib.

It will tell the max pressure.

About 10$ at Home BB stores.

If the manufacture does not recommend using them hoses then you should not use them. Why do you ?

They do say that for a reason.

The newer machines depend on the flow, if the flow is wrong it should turn off.

Low water pressure will trigger the safety also.

Last edited:

scrappy

Reaction score
You can get a meter with the tattle tell, And most people put them on a hose bib.

It will tell the max pressure.

About 10$ at Home BB stores.

If the manufacture does not recommend using them hoses then you should not use them. Why do you ?

They do say that for a reason.

We've had the watts unit and FLOODCHEK hoses for about 5-6 yrs. I only recently saw an updated recommendation regarding the hoses that was made @ Feb 2013. they were also not able to answer my question as to WHY they were not safe to use. we've been told it's the Watts unit, now possibly the floodchek hoses (but won't say why), and then I'm reading this info about the water hammer issues that nobody has asked about or mentioned before as a possible issue to the washers problems.

DonL

Reaction score
We've had the watts unit and FLOODCHEK hoses for about 5-6 yrs. I only recently saw an updated recommendation regarding the hoses that was made @ Feb 2013. they were also not able to answer my question as to WHY they were not safe to use. we've been told it's the Watts unit, now possibly the floodchek hoses (but won't say why), and then I'm reading this info about the water hammer issues that nobody has asked about or mentioned before as a possible issue to the washers problems.

"(but won't say why)"

Could the answer be because they do not work ?

I would guess maybe so.

Many houses flood even using them.

They are a bit of a joke, But they made a bunch of money.

Now the companies that make that crap pay for all of the lawsuits, because people think they are a Save All, And they are not.

scrappy

Reaction score
"(but won't say why)"

Could the answer be because they do not work ?

I would guess maybe so.

Many houses flood even using them.

They are a bit of a joke, But they made a bunch of money.

Now the companies that make that crap pay for all of the lawsuits, because people think they are a Save All, And they are not.

I think you're referring to the FLOODSAFE hoses, not the FLOODCHECK hoses. There has never been a reported case of the that hose failing, causing a flood. Maybe the hose isn't compatible with the washer in terms of the proper flow rate, but the service rep could give me no reason why that particular hose is unsafe. It appears to be the safest hose on the market in terms of failure resulting in leaks. So you would be incorrect regarding the many lawsuits related to the FLOODCHEK hoses.

I do appreciate your responses, offering your input, but I can live without your sarcastic tone. No I am not a professional plumber, that's why I'm here looking for advise.
Thanks,
Scott

DonL

Reaction score
I do appreciate your responses, offering your input, but I can live without your sarcastic tone. No I am not a professional plumber, that's why I'm here looking for advise.
Thanks,
Scott

Sarcastic tone ?

I guess I do not get it.

I did say that it was a guess on my part.

If they work for you, Then use them.

I was stating if a Manufacture tells you not to use them, Then you should not use.

If You do use them, You mostly void the warranty, And insurance will not pay off.

Sorry if I offend you. I really did not intend to.

I just hate to see people getting ripped off, Using something that is known to cause problems.

Have a Great Day.

scrappy

Reaction score
My mistake, I apologize. Between text vs talking to someone, and the incredible frustration over this ongoing situation, I obviously read into something that was not there. again, I apologize for jumping to conclusions. If it makes you feel better, I just got back from HD with the last water pressure guage that has the extra hand to assess highest pressure over time, and it's broken! so the fun contimues.

Thanks for helping out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, my washing machine weighs the clothes and then uses sensors to determine when the water level is adequate for that particular load. The water pressure to the WM usually has a minimum and maximum, but if you only used a timer, the water level would vary, possibly considerably, depending on the supply pressure.

The safest thing is to always turn the supply off to the WM when you are done using it...a quality hose should work, but defer to the manufacturer's instructions, if they differ. I'd give them a call to see if they can come up with a reason why they only want you to use theirs, but whomever answers, probably would only read from the company script, and not provide any insight.

DonL

Reaction score
I do not know any of the new ones that use a Timer to rely on fill volume.

They measure the water pressure in the tub, and Use A Time-Out timer that triggers if fill time takes longer than normal, it will shut the machine off until you push a button.

The ones that measure the weight must be nice, Because many times machine failure is due to people Overloading because they do not want to break it down, and have more loads to wash.

Using small cloths baskets is good and if the load don't fit, it may overload the machine.

Many times the Vibration sensor will shut things down if things become unbalanced during a spin cycle.

Wet clothes have a way of changing weight when wet. Dryers do not like wet clothes when overloaded either.

I agree it is best to turn the water off, But many valves will leak, if you turn them on and off every week.

Relying on a hose to protect you from water leaks, goes against theory, unless they are designed for the Exact thing they are made for, Not 1 size fits all, Because you WILL have problems.

Just my thought.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks