Should I try to soft start a pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Come on Dude, give up your secrets.

We could build a new Rocket Motor together.

You may be able to convert your pump to use a Rocket motor.

I converted my car to run on Methane years ago, But every time I Farted , The Tires would Bark, sometimes would smoke them if I had my Bleach sprayers for the back tires turned On.

The Guys Loved it, but the Girls not so much. But they all wanted a Ride.

Have Fun Everyone.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
The centrifugally switched cap is from the Goulds specs.

DonL - I am sending a set of hardware and the associated controller and software to you for your review. Please stay on your front porch during any time periods that the shipping people may possibly show up. It is possible that it may be delivered by a Comcast service person on their schedule. I have specified that if there is no one to sign for it, on the porch for the first delivery attempt, they are to destroy the package in a TS or better rated incinerator to contain the spread of proprietary information. Should you be there at the appropriate time, if the package appears to be barking; destroy it immediately. Something will have gone horribly wrong. Heavy weapons fire should be followed by a man portable flame thrower. High explosives will simply spread the contamination. Pray to your gods.

I am having fun. Sorta.

DonL

Reaction score
On the Goulds site. Look it up. I grow tired of this.

Me to a little. I will be setting on the front porch.

USPS delivers here on Sunday.

If it is a Sunday delivery, can you make sure it is after Church Service ?

I have to come in to watch Joel O.

Maybe I could put a TV on the front porch.

We need to make something good happen, Soon. Last thing I invented was Software. I am ready for some cool hardware designs.

I have built a lot of electronics, but the inventor of silicon died years ago.

So did the Girls that got the wrong type.

Have Fun Everyone.

DonL

Reaction score
Can you send that express mail ?

I have alerts on my phone.

We could be rich in no time.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Turns out that the people that said they had ordered a pump for me did not actually do it. And the contractor I thought I had lined up for doing the soldering and such decided they don't want to do it. Weeks have passed and I am beginning to be concerned about freezing weather. I am now searching for a source for the pump. I still think that the one I picked is a good match.

A different piece of this project also involves flushing and replacing antifreeze in a hydronic system. I could really use a recommendation for a system flush material and a reliable antifreeze that works with an Aluminum boiler core.

And there are the connectors in the system that are rusting out. An all copper and stainless system, the original installers put in 5 couplings of galvanized steel. They have a shell inside apparently intended to reduce galvanic conduction; but failed spectacularly. They are totally rotting out. They may have been the root cause of the pump failing if chunks went through the impellers. I need to replace the connectors. I was told at some point that code required them. But they don't work. I suspect a brass version would be fine. And should have been used in the first place. I just have to find some. It can get tricky for civilians to get stuff.

I really don't want to get into this; my soldering sucks. It is just ugly. Wires; yes. Big pieces of copper; not so much. I need to get a thick glove and a damp rag.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Good point. I have posted some of this there without much success. I will add some of this last post over there.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I need to restart my quest in a different direction. Since the pump I thought I had ordered, was not. I need to re-evaluate the pump. As noted much earlier in the thread, the 25GB is really to large. My target of 25GPM came from the original pump I am trying to replace. It was rated at 25GPM @ 60psi but I don't think it was ever doing that. Based on how long it would run when refilling the pressure tanks. And the reason for the size is lost in the cobwebs of my mind. But basically I was probably thinking about possible fire suppression and irrigation. Probably a swag.

So back to square one.

What capacity pump do you guys recommend. Normal residential use + watering a fair amount of garden + maybe worrying about fire. And the garden does not have to be watered all at one time. So let us say 2 watering hoses + household use.

I have gone back to the Goulds curves and have a number of potential alternatives. The curves are in the PDF B5 33GB 5GB, 7GB, 10GB, 18GB, 25GB, 33GB HIGH PRESSURE MULTI-STAGE BOOSTER PUMP at the link I provided earlier.

It would appear that an 18GB10 would be fine. It would meet my original 25GPM target. I was under extreme pressure (pun NOT intended) at the time to get something into the house before we had to leave on a trip. And the plants would die. I did not do a very good job of it. I probably just saw 25GPM and only looked at those curves. But, since I am rethinking it, a still smaller unit would also seem to be a decent idea.

Moving down the sizes, the 10GB07 would provide 16GPM through the 40-60 psi operating range. That is perhaps a more rational alternative. A 7GB07 would give about 10 GPM.

Can you guys please make some recommendations.; 25, 16, 10, or other.

Reach4

Reaction score
You may want to consider Valveman's suggestion, in reply #18" of a submersible pump inside the storage tank.

Besides being quiet, they are more common, and you would expect to get lower prices for a given quality. Usually they can even be horizontal just a few inches above the bottom of the tank. They can be at an angle as long as the output is no lower than the motor end of the pump.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
There is no reasonable way to get power there.

And I really need to get this fixed. Right now, my backup approach leaves a number of links exposed to freezing temperatures.

And I also still need to work on the hydronic system.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Just for closure: I have purchased a 25GBS10 pump. That is 1HP. Down from the 1.5HP I was initially looking at. The selected one should produce 25gpm at around 60psi. Some variants would have been OK, but the issue of finding one in stock ultimately affected the choice.

I went through several different sizing procedures for residential service requirements. For just the two of us, we will never use as much flow a calculations show for the house configuration. But I sized for a normal occupant family. Less would be rude for the next owner. Add in a couple of outside hoses running at the same time and 25 gpm is not unreasonable. And the pump can sustain this flow if I am trying to put out a fire. I do understand that fire fighting requires significantly different equipment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks