Should I seal shower faucet between the escutcheon and the sleeve?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by gthawkster, Jun 29, 2013.

1. gthawkster

gthawkster New Member

I repaired a leaky Delta single handle faucet which had a foam seal in the inside of the escutcheon but also a foam ring (1-7/8 ID) that fit around the sleeve behind the escutcheon. This foam ring was damaged. I plan to run a caulking around the outside of the escutcheon but I was wondering if I need to seal between the escutcheon and the sleeve since the small foam ring is gone. Thanks for your help.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I do not. But, then, I don't even remove the escutcheon since the valve is repairable without doing it. Sometimes getting the escutcheon bolts aligned is problem when the valve is set back into the wall almost at the maximum depth.
  3. gthawkster

gthawkster New Member

Thanks for the reply. What keeps water from seeping in between the escutcheon and the metal sleeve?