Should I seal or not

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Ottawa97tj, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Ottawa97tj

Ottawa97tj New Member

Should I seal the gap between the Kerdi board and tub flange? If I do should I use Silicone or Kerdi Fix?
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  3. Ottawa97tj

Ottawa97tj New Member

Darn, yeah it's already up, I have access to the back of two of the walls and will install blocking, the one wall is an outside wall (opposite the shower head) so am out of luck with that one, thanks for the tips.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

John is in conflict with Schluter and doesn't seem to understand that it is the foam that is the waterproofing on KerdiBoard. There are several ways to deal with the flange. Does the KerdiBoard go down over the flange? Did you use shims to prevent it from bowing out? You can fairly easily notch the back of it so it sits flush over the flange without the bow which will support it all along that edge...depends on how tall the tub flange is. Some are fairly tall, some are quite short (typical on CI, plastic ones are usually much taller).

If you notch it, a bead of Kerdifix on the flange would be plenty to anchor the KerdiBoard to the flange and provide a waterproof seal. The alternative is to use some Kerdiband, and seal the edge to the tub with KerdiFix.

You might want to view the videos on the Schluter site, or give their (very helpful) tech support people a call.
  5. Ottawa97tj

Ottawa97tj New Member

Darn looks like I have some rework to do, thank goodness I didn't start tiling. Unfortunately the Kerdi board is just butted up to the top of the flange biggest gap I would estimate at less then an 1/8. All my seams and fastners have been Kerdi banded. I put Kerdi Fix between the Kerdi board and the top of the tub flange (acrylic tub) so the flange is pretty high. I added blocking to the two wall I had access to.

So my question is should I cut out a couple of inches of the Kerdi board at the bottom to notch the back so the Kerdi board overlaps the flange and add the blocking to the one wall I didn't have access to and then Kerdi Band the new seams or will the Kerdi Fix provide enough support and water protection?
  6. Ottawa97tj

Ottawa97tj New Member

Also could point me to the Schluter video that takes you through the steps for a tub surround, I tried looking through the site and only found a shower stall installation.
  7. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Use some Kerdiband and apply a band of it over the bottom of the kerdiboard onto the tub lip as if it were a joint between boards. Seal the bottom edge of the Kerdiband to the tub flange with Kerdifix. In fact, it may be easier to put a bead of Kerdifix on the edge of the Kerdiband and thinset on the Kerdiboard, and then just embed the band onto the assembly.

The folks at tech support are quite well verses in their products and can help guide you through this.