Should I roll up all my wyes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by afrye707, Sep 9, 2012.

1. afrye707

afrye707 New Member

I have been working on my rough in. Everything is going good I just have one question. On my vents I rolled up my wye and placed a 45 on the end and ran the pipe over to my stud wall. On my drains should I also roll up my wyes and place a 45 and then send the arm out to its desired location. Basically I have my 3" main line coming in a 3" wye that runs towards my toilet and shower drains a wye that sends a 2" arm out for my shower and the pipe continues about 2' until the 90 for the toilet. Should I roll the wye for my shower arm?
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

You roll wyes whey wyes need to be rolled. No part of a vent may run horizontal until it is 6" above the flood level rim of the fixture served so just rolling a wye and sticking a 45 in it may or may not be ok. If that 45 points vertical then yes. If it runs horizontal then no.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

for drains you can do anything you want with the "Y"s. It is only a vent that has to be rolled up, and even then it is not always a legal installation.