Should I replace my water softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

consequential

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a General Ionics IQ-0820PB and I believe it could be as old as 20 years.

I have no reason to believe this unit isn't working correctly however, I was wondering if the technology has improved so much over the years that it would make sense to replace it (since I have the money).

I know nothing about this unit but was thinking of replacing it with a Kenmore Elite 31,000 Grain Hybrid Water Softener Model - 42-38520 for about $600

Does anyone know if this would be a massive upgrade and worthwhile?

Thanks so much!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would not replace a good unit with a big box store softener. Spend the extra couple hundred bucks and get a much better unit. Anything with a Fleck, Clack, or Autotrol valve is usually fine. Also look for USA made mineral tanks, brine tanks, and media. This will add a few bucks but...

consequential

Reaction score
I would not replace a good unit with a big box store softener. Spend the extra couple hundred bucks and get a much better unit. Anything with a Fleck, Clack, or Autotrol valve is usually fine. Also look for USA made mineral tanks, brine tanks, and media. This will add a few bucks but...

Thanks for the reply, do you have any suggestions on specific models? for 800-1200? Thanks!

ditttohead

Reaction score
Most of the online companies are chasing the lowest price by sacrificing quality so I usually advise against them. Many local companies will be very close to the online companies, many will be 5X more. I sent you a pm, I can probably recommend a local dealer to you that will be very fair.

consequential

Reaction score
Thanks all (especially ditttohead)!

I setup a Culligan meeting for tomorrow morning to find out what they charge to set me up with a higher level unit (I'd imagine better than Sears).

They said the rentals range from 25-45 ish per month or I could do payments to own one. The machines run from 1200-4000.

Does anyone have any idea as to what Culligan model's I should consider?

Thanks

ditttohead

Reaction score
I don't think your going to find a lot of love for "C" from the guys or myself on this forum. I would look for a Fleck or Clack based system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks