Should I put plumber's grease in a new toilet handle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I replaced my first toilet handle a couple of weeks ago - a job that took far less time than I was afraid it would - about 5 minutes. But since then, it sticks just a little at times and keeps running - maybe 4% of the time. When you replace one of these, should you pack plumber's grease in it, or will that hurt it?

Or perhaps, didn't I get the bend at the right angle?

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Picture, please, preferable old and new parts. If it sticks out, can it be pushed in flush from the outside? If so, then some teflon washers on the inside may be able to take up the slack.

If you are thinking that it is sticking then plumber's silicon probably won't help as you are thinking "lubrication" instead of "anti-stick". Synthetic grease may be a better choice.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Sticks out? When I said sticking, I meant that once in awhile, it sticks a little and keeps running, like it's holding the flapper open a little.

Here are snapshots of the old & new handles. I put some plumber's grease in the old one, to see if that would help before replacing it, but it didn't.

These are Toto 744SL toilets, by the way.

Attachments

• Toilet handle - OLD.jpg
    Toilet handle - OLD.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 471
  • Toilet handle - NEW.jpg
    Toilet handle - NEW.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 624

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Start by checking the slack on the chain and lift the flapper and feel for slime and bubbles - if you feel slime, clean off the slime from the flapper and it's mating surface with a wash towel, and if it has bubbles, replace the flapper. Since yours is a Drake 1.6gpf 744SL the chain goes all the way to the right rod hole. The chain links should not be able to be trapped under the flapper. As to why it may be sticking - maybe you have too much tension on the nut, it's too tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks