Should I or Shouldn't I ? Washer drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by carrud, Dec 1, 2013.

1. carrud

carrud DIY'er

While remodeling my 1st floor bathroom I've got all walls open and I was wondering if I should replace my clothes washer drain line from 1.5" to 2". I thought I'd get some advice if this was worth the effort.

Mind you, though sometimes these jobs may seem simple to some they never are, at least not to me. And so before I consider tackling this I wouldn't mind some helpful notes from anyone with advice.

1) Would it be a good bang for the buck?? (or for the time it will take me, I'm slooooooow.)

2) If I do replace it, what should I do with the open end where the washer hose sits? Is there something special that gets done these days?

~Washer Drain IMG_0779 copy.jpg ~Washer Drain IMG_0780 copy.jpg ~Washer Drain IMG_0771 copy.jpg

Many Thanks, Clark
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

While you have it open I would take the opportunity to tear all of that old crap out and replace it with PVC
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Since you have it exposed, now is the time.
    The open drain is fine. I like to use a box with valves, but in your case, too much time.
    Skip the box and go with the drain though the wall like it was done before.
    2" is the current code.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; I would take the opportunity to tear all of that old crap out

Spoken like a "true modern plumber" who never worked with cast iron or galvanized dwv systems.
  5. carrud

carrud DIY'er

I'm replacing this bit of my galvanized. I've got a piece of vertical that drops into the SOG and is a bit dirty. I'd like to clean this.

1) Should I or not?
    2) If yes, what is the best way to do this without causing this gunk to clog up down the line?

Many Thanks, Clark

~Sink drain gunk IMG_0796 copy.jpg ~Sink drain gunk IMG_0799 copy.jpg
  6. dj2

dj2 Member

FYI, we don't use PVC for DWV in the west coast.

We use ABS.

And, the galvanized/CI can stay.
  7. dj2

dj2 Member

Run a powerful vacuum cleaner while using a chisel or a flat screwdriver to break the corrosion one piece at a time. The vac will catch the rusty parts. If small pieces fall down, it won't be the end of the world. When done, give it a healthy drain flush/cleaning.
  8. carrud

carrud DIY'er

Thanks for the advice. I chiseled it out and sucked/grabbed as much up as I could. When it got too deep for that I would simply chisel a bit, then flush with the water hose I dragged from outside. Then repeat. Once done I ran my snake for about 20+ feet. Seems good.

Back to the clothes washer drain upgradeā€¦ I started pulling out the necessary galvanized and I ended up doing a bit more than expected when I found a good bit from the 2nd floor shower to be very clogged for a good portion. More than I expected to replace but it feels so good to know this will be done when I remodel the upstairs bath.

Thanks for all your help.

Clark