Should I construct a bypass or use the bypass that came with my softener?

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by amateurplumber1, Apr 14, 2013.

1. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

Or both? It looks like I won't be able to use the bypass we have installed now, so I'm trying to figure what the best way to go is. Thanks a lot!
  2. JohnnyO

JohnnyO New Member

If you have the room, the time, and the skill/or skilled friends/professionals, I'd do both.

That way, if you end up needing to change out the bypass on the 7000SXT, or moving to another softener in the future, etc., you can use the house bypass, and not have to turn off water to your whole house.

I have both a hard plumbed bypass as well as one on my failed Kenmore softener. I am happy to have the house bypass, as I will feel less rushed when installing my 7000SXT (hopefully later this week).

John
  3. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

What JohnnyO said. Again.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

That's a lot of time effort and money on something that 99+% of people never need or use. Plus it causes dead ends in the plumbing where bacteria like to grow.

Especially when you aren't buying a low quality control valve/by pass valve like the big box stores sell.