Should flange rest on top of tile?

Users who are viewing this thread

taxman

Reaction score
I am having a toilet installed in my basement. A plumber has cut the floor and put in the plumbing. Now that the floor has been patched, I plan to pay a tile installer to put ceramic tile on the concrete floor. Should the lip of the flange rest on top of the ceramic tile or be flush with it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flange ideally should be sitting on top of the finished flooring and bolted down. Since some tile is a real bear to drill holes through, sometimes they notch the tile for the mounting screws prior to putting the tile in place. Usually, if you have the opportunity, they leave the pipe long, then cut it after putting down the tile to the proper height when mounting the flange. Just make sure you have enough room around the pipe to allow the flange to be seated properly. Note I'm not a pro, but this question has been asked here numerous times!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

ONe reason for putting the flange on top of the tile, after it is laid is that it is easier to "rough cut" around the pipe and then install the flange, than it is to install the flange and then have to make precise cuts to fit around it.

AndreaP

Reaction score
anchoring flange to tile

I understand that it is best to seat the flange on top of the tile floor, as opposed to the subfloor, but exactly how do you fasten the flange to tile? Do you just drill through the tile and backerboard and then use long screws that will go into the subfloor below?

wejones

Reaction score
Each layout is slightly different due to where the tile and grout lines will fall. I had 4 tiles coming together and was able to cut a hexagon around the opening for the pipe. I just stuck the verticies close to where a screw would go into the floor through to the subfloor. Where a screw didn't meet a verticie, I just notched the tile with my tile cutter for the screw. My floor is 1" plank deck, 3/4" CDX plywood, 1/4" tile backer, & 1/4" floor tile. I used 2-1/2", #12 stainless steel screws. I also applied a light bead of silicone sealer around the tile opening, closest to the pipe to keep any water finding its way underneath the flange from dripping down on the ceiling below. Don't put any silicone on the outside of the flange because you want water getting in there to run out into the room.

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Simple solution, if you know the thickness to the finish floor, then cut out round plywood circles to make up the difference, set flange on top of these circle/s and mount the flange to desired height prior to the tile being install, all said and done, no drilling the tile since flange is set.

We use PVC closet spacer under our closet flanges all the time, there thickness is 1/4" - 1/2" each.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks