Should be easy but can't find one anywhere. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

mhb22079

Reaction score
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'd like to add the ability to use a hand shower to our whirlpool tub. The current spout has a circular piece of metal which contains a washer and screen (similiar to that on a kitchen faucet. Is there a company that sells a diverter that will will thread into the female faucet hole and allow one to hook up a hand shower? I've seen them for showers but they are normally they just screw on to the existing shower head.

Sorry I don't know the "technical terms" for plumbing fixtures which might explain my inability to find what I"m looking for.

Thank You

Lancaster

Reaction score
Sorry but I dont think you will find such an item.The problem is that while a shower arm is the very common 1/2" pipe thread and all kinds of fittings are made that size,faucet aerators (the circular device with screen you describe) come in all kinds of oddball sizes and threads.For example,a lot of kitchen and lav faucet aerators are 55/64" with 27 thread.And there are several other sizes,depending on the faucet manufacturer and model.With roman tub spouts (I'll assume you have a deck mount faucet) there are no standards at all for aerators.
I'll suggest you should look into replacing your tub valve with a new one that includes a transfer valve for the handshower.(And a vacuum breaker,as there would be backflow considerations here too.) You'll need another hole drilled in your tub deck,but assuming your tub has access panels,its a pretty simple job.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are tub spouts that have the correct fitting to hook up a hand held shower. Here is a picture of one:

Attachments

• tub_diverter.jpg
    tub_diverter.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 481

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

They appear to be describing a deck mount, gooseneck spout which that one will not replace. The only way to do it with a deck mount is to mount a diverter valve on the deck and repipe the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks